A clearcut in Sweden (with stump pictures!)

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello I visited a clearcut today here i Sweden that was made in a north slope. Old grown pine in north slopes in northern Sweden are great wood. I hope they didn't just make paper of them :(.

Notice the heartwood ration and tight growth rings!

Tight grain this spruce had...

A stump from the same clearcut but not growing in the north slope. Faster growing with lesser heartwood.

Not a pretty sight.

At least they left some big trees...

Tracks!

It seems like a lot of forrests in this picture but most of the trees are quite young and fast growing, nothing like the trees that stood in this slope...

Well not the ordinary tourist thread perhaps. Have fun :D.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Man thats a sad site to see,i see that here a lot too,you know,and i hate it from my guts.Humans will rape and exploit everything without hesitating,including their own soul scenery,not to mention outdoor scenery,in name of money,greed.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I'll be driving & camping up in SE (dalarna/jämtland/lapland) and NO the coming 3 weeks. Weherabouts of this, so I can avoid..:)

Good post, but sad for the forest. Specially considering the afwul bs that will be printed on a lot of the paper...

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Up in our Pacific Northwest the government lets the lumber companies "clear cut" but in the Ozark National Forest it is not allowed. Those clear cut scars will be a long time disappearing.

Fortunately, my cabin is in the Ozarks.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Bear in mind the fact that timber can be a fully sustainable crop, it gets re planted and grows again.

I've seen people take a right girly wobbler when they see planted forest cut down and for some reason they can't work out that someone planted it as a crop, fully intending to cut it and re-plant it again.

That's admittedly a different situation than the Amazon being de-forested but just cos someone cuts a tree down doesn't make them an "earth mother rapist" you know, perhaps its to be re planted?

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
That's admittedly a different situation than the Amazon being de-forested but just cos someone cuts a tree down doesn't make them an "earth mother rapist" you know, perhaps its to be re planted?
Yes I know that, I have planted trees for 6 summers. Every clearcut must be replanted here. But the plants are modified to be as fast growing as possible. Then some stupid people plant them wrong and they die :D. Then comes the moose and eat the tops of the plants so the trees will look like ****.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Bear in mind the fact that timber can be a fully sustainable crop, it gets re planted and grows again.

I've seen people take a right girly wobbler when they see planted forest cut down and for some reason they can't work out that someone planted it as a crop, fully intending to cut it and re-plant it again.

yep agree here, when done properly its very sustainable.

like xmas trees they are managed sustainably so people can go back year after year to the same tree grower, they plant in cycles, so just imagine that on a grander scale.

and i read something written by robin wood that i hadnt thought of before

he said

'everyone notices the one cut down tree, but no one notices the 3000 other trees that have put on 2mm in growth' (or something similar - im paraphrasing)

a good point, and one i hadnt thought about

amazon deforestation needs stopping though as they really are mother earth rapers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE