A bunch of wooden things and questions on a cracked kuksa

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Various bits and pieces I made over 2010 when I started up with this hobby.
100_1243.jpg

A dolphin I made for a colleague in december for a sort of secret santa thing. There are still some red markings on it, but since it was soaked into the wood I couldn't get rid of it. Didn't want to paint it either.
100_1245.jpg

Here's my new year's kuksa. It's my first real attempt and took about 13 hours. The wood I used is chestnut.
100_1253.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see it, but there's a crack in it. I sealed it on the other side with some regular glue hoping it would at least slow down further cracking.
100_1255.jpg

What can/should I do to close up the crack and prevent cracks like these in the future? I left it to dry in an open plastic bag, but I did drink coffee from it a few times just 3 days after finishing it.

Oh, and I know that the sides are pretty thick. I already thinned the side I drink from a bit to make it work better.

Any advice would be welcome!

Gerard

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
To avoid splits carve much thinner. It's not easy to tell exactly from a photo but I would guess you could easily loose 1/2-3/4 of the wood in most of your items and they would be much improved for it. You have done most of the hard work.

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
A nice first attempt Gerard. The next time you carve one cleave your timber a good half inch either side of the centre; leaving an inch plank with the pith in as waste. A log will always crack radially from the centre and your work will also crack if your too close to the centre pith. By avoiding it by a good half inch and drying slowly ( i normally dry in a pile of wet shavings) it will probably warp but shouldnt crack. Hope this helps Paul

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Thanks for the fast response. The thickness of the rim is somewhere between a quarter of an inch and about half an inch, so there's plenty of room for thinning. Going to try again with a fresh chunk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE