A bow of my own

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok twelveboar look at this if you can fallow the grain when done should look like this got more to say no time o these was 6 or 7 years ago this was my 3d one i done about 10 or so sold and gave away

bow11.jpg

Also for wood bows you will need a bow stringer i make my own cause you cant use you knee like a fiberglass one

bows.jpg

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I have read the links for your question and nobody has mentioned "Quicks archery", they are certainly not the cheapest but have a good supply of materials and you can veiw there stores via the web. I purchase my wood from a local lumber yard but have bought lots of arrow accessories from them with no problem at all. They also sell books on the construction of Bows, arrows and strings. Check it out and hope it helps.

rgards
D :lmao:

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I've picked up a bundle of 10, 8ft canes ar the garden centre for less than 3 quid, so the bamboo project is progressing well within budget so far. :)
I better watch out that it doesn't end up costing less than the arrows!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Quicks give very good service. Bowsports have a much more limited range but are a bit cheaper. They sell Port Orford cedar shafts etc.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Regarding cheap horsebows. The Grozer Scythian looks nice with it's leather outer and trad handle but the handle doesn't locate your hand very well so you have to pay attention to where you're holding it. Other than that it's nice enough, a touch flimsy feeling maybe.

I just picked up a Internature KTB at 55# and after a few close indoor shots I'm impressed. I was expecting it to be fast(and it is) but it seems more accurate than the Grozer, first-impression wise(won't know 'till I get out with it).
Grip isn't traditional in the slightest, being a rubbery coating over a plastic block....
...but it's a great fit, shape and feel. Sits very naturaly in the hand and feels like it would withstand rain ok. :)
It's clear glass over wood on the back, black glass on the belly and some dodgy red leather tip and string protectors that'll need changed.

The Samick version I didn't like the sound of as they're getting a bit of a rep for twisted limbs at the moment. If you get a straight one they sound just the job, but there's apparently quite a few getting by quality control.

The Samick SHB is alright too if you prefer a shelf bow. I had a bit of trouble getting wooden arrows matched up to it. It's 55# too but has quite a violent cast so lighter spines will wander more. Almost as soon as you get to the right spine it starts slapping against the bow, there's very little range in-between. Just means less arrows per dozen made. :rolleyes:
With the right alloy arrows it would probably be a dream, but the 2216's that I chuck out of the hoyt are way too heavy and I'm not going to go buying a new set of alloys.

I know this' a late post, if it's way too late and you've already picked something up then ignore the above....
.....So what you get then? :D

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Samick Mind 50 is a good one, I know bowhunting is illegal in the UK but if you want something that is traditional, simple, has got some punch for effective hunting, then this model is a good one. There is an awesome forum in Australia which is a really good mix of genuine bushcraft, practical bowhunting and traditional bows. The mods have sort of made a request that I not promote / discuss bowhunting too much here so I would like to ask if it would be OK if I post the web address?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Well, since it's no-go in this country there's no real use in talking about it. It's ok to talk archery though, no harm in that.
I'm just into chucking arrows about. I thought this post was for recommendations for a first bow, but had missed that tenboars is making a bundle bow. :)

Cheap bows just put you in the mood for exotic ones anyway, before you know it you have more than you know what do with and never lift the cheap ones again unless it's poaring.
Off to talk to the bank manager about a Border Riever. Wish I'd never clapped eyes on one, makes even my good bows look like so much kindling :rolleyes: .

P.S. About e-bay, avoid the classic recurves like the plague. They all have twisted and delaminated limbs.(that should cut out some of the competition, lol :D )
No honestly, Doc's right. For the price of a cheap new bow you can pick up a nice 70s recurve in good nick that'll be a nicer shooter and have more character.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Grooveski,

I was thinking more that it may be useful for the information on the bows which is why I mentioned it. There is a lot on that site about bows such as the Samick model mentioned above!! I'm also now wondering what is the relationship between archery and bows and a bushcraft forum then? In what context and for what purpose are they mentioned or discussed here? Their potential as a hunting / survival / bushcraft tool has got to be the main one surely? Maybe I should go carve a wood hunting / bushcrafting Frisbee.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
There is no reference really, but it seems to be a popular hobby among the folk I've met. It makes a fun sideline at the meets, somewhere to hang around, toss some arrows, have a blether and try each others bows out. :)
Folk come at archery from all sorts of directions and are looking for all sorts of different things from it. Everyone knows the score; they are hunting tools, have been for a long time.

Sorry if the post before came across as flippant, I wasn't really thinking about the forum you mentioned, information is always good. The Resources section is the place to put it if you want it to be easily found in the future.
It's just I didn't know what to make of the hunting talk, and have no idea about what's cool to post links to and what's not. I just tried the wee Internature, thought "that'd make a handy first bow" and thought I'd toss it in as a thought. :)

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Go ahead and try to make i got books on it read the till red in the face.My fir bow broke most f the rules on building it still work.I got a piece of ash 1-1/2 shave tell it tiller ok it was green and wet put it on a board use some nails to shape it in a re curve. Put up over wood stove to dry i know i should air dry but i was in a hurry when dry put leather backing on it it works great 50 lb. about 40 in tall made more since all kinds plus a little longer made that bow in three days my first so go for it.[P. S. had no tools just a hunting knife just in my lap also made a jig for making my own bow strings any length i got pic. of it if like to see the first one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE