A bit confused

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart1983

Aug 23, 2006
Northumberland
Having looked at the sticky thread on basic knife sharpening for beginners im a little confused, the link to the site which sells whetstones does not sell a stone that is 1000/6000 grit.
Which stones are best for sharpening
a) a knife
b) a hatchet axe
Also where are the best places to buy these stones, aswell as a strop

Many thanks for your help

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Stuart1983 said:
Also where are the best places to buy........a strop

Many thanks for your help

A charity shop,
Get a wide leather belt and either use it loose or glue it to a board and charge it with a fine abrasive paste - green polishing paste/solvol/toothpaste etc ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Don't know the answers to all your questions but I do know what the best strop is. It's the one you make. Strops are easy to make and just as good or even better than what you might buy. Most of the strops you buy are smooth but I personally like the rough side out on mine (easier to charge with compound and holds it longer). Just glue a strip of good quality leather to a board and you are good to go. Even a web belt makes a good strop and holds compound well. Just glue it down on a board. Leave a little room on the board for a handle and you are good to go.

As far as stones go, you can save a whole pile of money and just buy wet/dry sandpaper. I actually prefer sandpaper to stones for most of my sharpening needs, although a diamond stone is sometimes essential for tough jobs. If you do a little searching around on this forum you will find all kinds of good ideas on how to use sandpaper for sharpening but basically you just mount the sandpaper to a block of wood and you are good to go. If you want to convex your edge (like on an axe for instance), glue a piece of mousepad to the block and mount the sandpaper on top.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Hoodoo said:
If you do a little searching around on this forum you will find all kinds of good ideas on how to use sandpaper for sharpening but basically you just mount the sandpaper to a block of wood and you are good to go. If you want to convex your edge (like on an axe for instance), glue a piece of mousepad to the block and mount the sandpaper on top.

Pretty much everybody on here except Hoodoo calls this setup a "Hoodoo hone". If you search for "Hoodoo hone" on here you'll find everything you need to know on this method.

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE