A Better Soft Shackle

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Came a cross this, a thought I would share.

http://l-36.com/

[h=3]A Better Soft Shackle[/h] Revised 12/12/2011 -- added calculator
I make and use a lot of soft shackles to attach my jib sheets. The normal soft shackle is rather difficult to open and to milk closed. With age, it gets every more difficult to use. The alterniative Kohlhoff style looks a bit insecure although under load it is perfectly secure. This version is a bit of a hybrid with hopefully the best properties of both. The eye is easy to open but can only be opened just enough to fit the stopper knot through it. Almost any slight force will close it quickly. The basic construction is a passthrough eye, a shackle section of about 2 inches, a passthrough lock and then a bury of the other strand into a body section of about 5 1/2 inches, another passthrough and finally a diamond knot.

ss9_3.jpg

And this is good too http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_howto.php

Last edited:

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Got some Green amsteel so I can see my set up better, gray on gray is ok but should be better on pack up so I can see where every thing is.

whoopieandsoft2.jpg

Going to try the full soft shackle and whoopie sling combo this weekend.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Not that I had anything with soft shackles, I struggled a bit with cold fingers in winter, so ditched them along with the huggers in favour of Dutch's buckle set up... Its so much quicker/easier.

If you are happy with shackles, no problems, just thought you may want to look at this :) Assuming its for the whoopies.

aLAl0.jpg

Last edited:

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Not that I had anything with soft shackles, I struggled a bit with cold fingers in winter, so ditched them along with the huggers in favour of Dutch's buckle set up... Its so much quicker/easier.

If you are happy with shackles, no problems, just thought you may want to look at this :) Assuming its for the whoopies.

Thanks for the link/info. I have used normal soft shackles and as you say found them fiddly, So will try this hybrid out and see what there like and report back.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Love making these as well.

The web site you linked to also shows how to add a pull tab. I find this really helps especially when using a Soft Shackle prussiks I have made from Zing it cord. They are really fiddly but with the pull tab easy to use.

IMAG0256.jpg
[/IMG]

On my normal Soft Shackles they look like this. They make opening the shackle up a doddle when you have cold or wet hands.

Closed

DSC06240.jpg
[/IMG]

Open. The tab knot on this one has come undone. I used the inner core of yellow braided rope for the tab.

DSC06241.jpg
[/IMG]

This Kolhoff shackle is made from yellow braided rope similar to paracord. I like this style as you can keep the inner core in the shackle and maintain a decent level of strength (though I would not hang a hammock of it). I have made a lock for it to make it secure. Just a small piece of rope locked back on itself twice and taped.

DSC06239.jpg
[/IMG]

I use this type of rope for prussick shackles on my group tarps.

DSC04903.jpg
[/IMG]

There is to be a class at the Moot on this so looking forward to checking out some new ideas.

Cheers

George

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com

Thanks for the link/info. I have used normal soft shackles and as you say found them fiddly, So will try this hybrid out and see what there like and report back.

Gone for the marlin spike option. :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91154&p=1099870#post1099870

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE