8 or 9 inches... Size matters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I've been looking at and wanting a Leuku for some time, and I've managed to decide which model I'd like to spend my money on (a Stromeng).
Not having any possibilities to actually try out the different sizes, though, I haven't been able to decide which length Leuku would fit my needs best.
I'm going to use the Leuku for the same things that most others do - as general campknife, chopping firewood and rougher cutting. Living in Switzerland it'll be coniferous as well as deciduous woods.

The sizes I'm considering are the 8 inch and the 9 inch carbon steel models.
The question is - Which of these sizes would be better? Is the difference so small it doesn't really matter?

Is there anyone out there in this knowledgeable place that can give me good advice?

/ Karl

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I have a 9 inch and so far have found very little use for it.This may be lack of experience but I find that I can accomplish most tasks with my 4 inch knife and my axe,for smaller work I use a whittler.
Maybe after seeing someone else using one and myself gaining more experience I'll use it more.
Not much help I know.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Why get an 8" when you can get a 9"? The 9" will give you more weight forward for chopping and you won't notice the extra weight on the hip because the blade is thin. It will also give you more blade to grasp for drawknife use. I'd say the biggest complaint I've heard about the Stromeng is the handle. You might consider just purchasing the blade and then making a handle to your liking.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Thanks for all the good advice guys, I much appreciate it.

Hoodoo:
What's the complaints about the Stromeng handles? Shape? Size? Wood? Quality?
I'm not picky about the brand, so maybe there are other brands out there which you would recommend before Stromeng?

/ Karl

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
In my opinion, since most Leukus are paired with a smaller knife, you might as well get the bigger one. It'll make it less of a carver and more of a hacker, but as a general rule, that's what you want it for anyway.

Atb
Pete

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
To be fair,there is not much in it realy,size difference is too small,but as yer man said,it should be paired with a smaller knife so why not go with the 9"!
Regards.
C da C.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks for all the good advice guys, I much appreciate it.

Hoodoo:
What's the complaints about the Stromeng handles? Shape? Size? Wood? Quality?
I'm not picky about the brand, so maybe there are other brands out there which you would recommend before Stromeng?

/ Karl

Well, some folks think the handle is a little too narrow at the top. Some folks say their pinky finger gets pinched while chopping. I have not had the latter problem myself (although I usually wear gloves) but for the narrowness of the top, I flattened mine a little with sandpaper.

Here's a comparison shot of the Stromeng 9" with two 7" leukus, a Roselli (middle) and an IJ (top).

leukus1b.jpg

Close up of the handles.

leukus2b.jpg

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've got an 8 inch one and love it. I'm currently making an every so slightly smaller one but it is a pretty good length for me. If you want it just as a chopper go as long as possible - I like mine as an all round knife.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Well, some folks think the handle is a little too narrow at the top. Some folks say their pinky finger gets pinched while chopping. I have not had the latter problem myself (although I usually wear gloves) but for the narrowness of the top, I flattened mine a little with sandpaper.

Here's a comparison shot of the Stromeng 9" with two 7" leukus, a Roselli (middle) and an IJ (top).

leukus1b.jpg

Close up of the handles.

leukus2b.jpg

Thanks Hoodoo, that clears things up.
As they say, "A thousand pictures says more than one word"... Or some such.
Lovely wood in the Järvenpää handle. The rather boring wood in the Stromengs is what I don't like about them. But that's, of course, just a cosmetic thing.

I believe I'll go for a 9" Stromeng, considering I'm intending to use it instead of my GB Hatchet.

/ Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE