4X4 Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimny

Dec 5, 2009
Under my hat and in my coat
I've had many 4x4s over the years, so for what it's worth here's my opinion. Land Rovers, Disco's, Rangeys etc are all good motors if you are handy with a set of spanners and can fix them yourself, otherwise they can get expensive. Toyota Hilux = very good work tool but a bit agricultural to drive.
Personally I wouldn't buy a soft roader, I want a low range gearbox.
I'm currently driving a Suzuki Jimny...........did I hear a snigger.......it may be small, it may not be the best motor for extended motorway journeys ( but no worse than many other 4x4s) but it will go anywhere, it's not expensive to run and being Japanese it's reliable. I'm getting 35 to 40mpg depending on how hard I drive it and how much gear is in it. I know people look at them and think "teeny tiny hairdressers car" but once you've left them way behind in the mud and snow their opinions tend to change :lmao:

Just my twopenn'orth

Dave

We have a 1996 RAV4, the first style that came out. Had it for about 7 years now and it's never missed a beat. Just put first new pair of tyres on the front. Performs well on road, not something I'd like to go panel bashing with though as it has no low box, only centre diff lock and a low first gear and some suspension linkage that looks useful for shaving rocks with. Then again, I wouldn't want to wreck a family car Range Rover or Discovery either playing in a quarry, I'd use an off road toy. Series and utility 90/110 Land Rovers carry that used and abused patina well though. The Toyota 2.0 efi flies along nicely, never spins wheels when taking off sharpish, good visibility, easy to park and I get blown kisses from all the hairdressing boys, pity I don't have any hair on my head any more.

I'd get a Discovery or Range Rover tomorrow but it's made difficult because we like the RAV so much. I'm going to be in the bad books if I persuade Our Lass to get rid and buy something that I am fairly sure will become a money pit sooner or later. I don't want to be sorting galvanic corrosion on door skins, rotten rear floors, wheel arches etc on what is the family car.

Having said that, when the RAV finally goes to meet the great rice burner in the sky, unless I can get another nice similar style model, I'll end up selling my soul and praying to the Lord Lucas, Prince of Darkness. The RAV was bought back then as we both had a crush on it, saw one for sale locally at a price we could cope with (Range Rovers and Discoveries were too much at the time) and we were running a shed that we had no attachment to, easy choice when put like that. Things have changed now, there isn't anything that catches our eye like this little RAV did, and good spec Range Rover and Discovery's are within our means now, it's only their potential for running costs that will keep reminding me of the folly of desire.

In the meantime, I get perverse delight out of several other Land Rovers, but I''m not so smitten that I would force this deviancy on the rest of the family, so the RAV stays for now and I'm not even sticking pins in effigies of it.

Poor thing, it's sat out there now, cold, wet, like a little Westie locked out of the shed. The V8 90 sat beside it though, that's just deserves every spanking it gets and raw meat thrown at it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE