420 J2 stainless steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I believe type 420 stainless is the type of steel used for most Buck knives. While they're sometimes a little hard to sharpen with a stone (diamond works well) they seem to have good edge holding properties. The only bad thing about using stainless is that it's impossible to strike a spark using a real (stone) flint.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Sorry i seemed not too helpfull mate! am at work!

As singtech says they are made of a stainless which is low in carbon so it quite tough, but wouldnt hold an edge well...

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i've got some hibbin throwing knives and a buck
they seem alot softer to me i have not really used them as knives i just have the odd
throw they hit each other and the gound when i miss
they can take a beating i'll give them that
i would't throw 01

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Combatblade,

Normally 420J2 isn't such a great steel. But if its made by Buck then the knife you are holding is an exception to that rule. Buck uses a more than adequate heat treatment and as most of their larger size folders have the "Edge 2000" system then the knife should hold quite a good edge.

I hope this helps,

Adam

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
You can throw 01 no problems mate, just dont throw it if its 58hrc and over (incidentally the hardness most 01 knives will be)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE