4 seasons jacket waterproof,weatherproof for 10 quid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
foul said:
we have experimented that cotton behave like human skin
Foul would it be possible to combine all your posts in to one. If you want to reply to someone else’s post either click on the quote button at the bottom of their post or use quote tags
[*quote=username]Legio Patria Nostra [/quote]
Your post would look like this
username said:
Legio Patria Nostra
just remove the * to make the tags work
It will make reading the threads and posts much easier.
thank you

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
foul said:
hello Tadpole, glad to meet you

do you want me to P.M everyone in private mode?

Not at all. it's just easier for everyone to understand the flow of the thread if your reply includes the part of the post you are replying to.
At the moment you appear to be having a one sided conversation with yourself.

Pas à tout. c'est juste plus facile pour tout le monde pour comprendre le votre réponse inclut la partie du poteau vous répondez à. Au moment vous semblez avoir un on se mis conversation de côté de vous.

excuser mon français pauvre.

foul

Sep 21, 2006
u.k
help me to sorting out the mess

i think i begin to annoyed peoples

i understand i have to "quote" the last post and then "reply"

right?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think Tadpole's just trying to say if you could answer everyones' question in one reply rather than several consecutive replies all from yourself, it would make the thread easier to read.

How you do it is up to you. You could use quotes, but as the questions were general rather than specific I don't think there's any need to address people individually. I think most people were just after a clarification of your first post, which wasn't very clear.

foul

Sep 21, 2006
u.k
anyway i 'v just created a new thread into/forum/flora&fauna, for everyone to

participate actively

thema is:Genetically Modified Organism

stupid idea i have to confess

I never wanted this
You never this

Love is To Understand The Suffering of Another

bye

foul

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I reckon I got cold because it was -9 all day and it dropped more with wind chill. We slept in a medieval barn at night, and you could see the snow flakes blowing *up* through the gaps in the floor boards :(
During the day it rained with smir all the time too, so nothing dried out. :( :(
I'm glad I'm home :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
This isn't an entirely fail safe consept. You try telling this to Chris Ryan who watched his friend 'Legs' die of Hyperthermia after swimming through the euphrates river in Iraq. And they were both SAS.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yeah I agree, why get wet when we can take steps to avoid it? It doesn't need to be an expensive waterproof jacket made from Goretex and all sorts of other amazing fibres and fabrics. A simple army poncho will do, or you can pick up German army waterproofs for next to nothing. It is an unwise thing to trek out onto Dartmoor say, without a good waterproof system and a means of erecting a shelter from the elements.

Water will conduct heat away from your body 25 times faster than air, so even if you do adopt this idea, your body will be working overtime to generate heat, meaning you are burning more energy and therefore will become tired and make stupid mistakes. I personally wouldn't try this method at all!!

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I think for certain conditions you just have to accept that you're going to be wet. For example, sometimes I do creek walks where I will be walking in water for hours on end (above my shorts). In this environment, staying dry is not an option, and waterproof boots would be unbearable.
Also, when doing really rough offtrack walking (where you may be on hands and knees to get through particularly overgrown sections, or clambering down rocks), water will come down the cuffs of your jacket, and sweat will soak you anyway.
I'm not saying that being wet is necessarily always the way to go.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That is slightly different, I have spent time soaked whilst in the forces, sometimes it is unaviodable. River crossings tend to get you a bit sopping!! We're talking about general outdoors life though, and I don't see why somebody would purposefully get wet. It seems a bit daft and also a bit dangerous to me.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
spamel said:
That is slightly different, I have spent time soaked whilst in the forces, sometimes it is unaviodable. River crossings tend to get you a bit sopping!! We're talking about general outdoors life though, and I don't see why somebody would purposefully get wet. It seems a bit daft and also a bit dangerous to me.

agreed. And if you are gonna get wet (as you say, it happens) then choose clothing that retains warmth when wet and will dry quickly. Cotton does neither.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
One thing I have learned over the years is that any fool can be uncomfortable.

Sure, sometimes getting wet is unavoidable, but there is no reason to make it worse by not taking a few precautions.

By stripping down, even a river crossing can be done without getting most of your gear wet.

I have done many living history events in the rain without waterproofs, I've even been over the bord of a longship in full kit on one occasion.

The first thing I do is get rid of any linen and dry it out, better still take it off before it gets wet and keep it dry for later. The woolen kit still insulates when damp so that's fine but at least try to wring it out if it's soaked.

As for cost, a woolen blanket from a charity shop will only cost about 50 pence so invest in a needle and some thread. You don't need to but an expensive Swandri unless you want one.

The very last thing I would choose to wear under these conditions is cotton*. Skin may not be a sponge but cotton certainly is.

* With the possible exception of Ventile, but I don't even wear that if I know I'm going to get drenched.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm a huge fan of synthetics, and some of my favourite bits of kit are my Lifa polypro baselayers and my HH fibre-pile jacket. Sadly, I threw out the pile jacket a while it because it was getting too ratty to wear. Anyway, I was rummaging through my kit and I have a ton of it! I remembered that I still have a nearly brand new wooly pully sweater. I think I wore it last winter in the driving rain and I was reasonably dry.

I know that wool as a fibre can absort 30% of it's weight in moisture and still feel dry to the touch due to the hydrophillic nature of it's inner core and the hydrophobic keratin scales on the outside of the fibres. I also know that my furry polyester pile jacket (essentially artificial wool) would only absorb a total maximum weight of 10% in moisture. And since I have very little experience with wool, I pose the question:

Which fabric retains more actual warmth when saturated? I know it takes much longer to dry and is more durable, but I'd like to leave those variables out of the question. I'm also referring to midlayer thermal fabrics, not baselayers because that's a totally different category.

Adam

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Wayland said:
One thing I have learned over the years is that any fool can be uncomfortable.

Well said. Treat the elements with contempt and one day they may just turn round and bite you. What if you break an ankle, or whatever, and are suddenly faced with spending a night on the hill in your soaked cotton?

Foul is right, you don't need to spend a fortune on goretex and ventile, but that doesn't have to mean getting wet instead. In my opinion that is a needless risk.

Scoops.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
addyb said:
Which fabric retains more actual warmth when saturated? I know it takes much longer to dry and is more durable, but I'd like to leave those variables out of the question. I'm also referring to midlayer thermal fabrics, not baselayers because that's a totally different category.

Hi Adam,

Having worn both synthetic and wool *baselayers* for a good while I'm definitely in the wool camp, in my experience I find it more comfortable to wear because I keep a much more even temperature and perspire less as a result. The keratin scales you mentioned react to temperature a bit like a pine cone, helping regulate your temperature.

Your question was about mid layers. One of the best mid layers I own is a cheapy (£15) Edinburgh woolen mill jumper. When wool gets really wet though it starts getting saggy and heavy, but even then it still keeps you warmer than a similar weight fleece would do in the same situation. Thats just my opinion though, I've no facts and figures to back it up.

Under paramo wool doesn't get wet, if it does it dries again because of the way paramo works. A craghoppers shirt, my wooly jumper and my paramo jacket are just the greatest combo ever! :D

Scoops

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I refuse to ever live sodden wet like that again :( , but it's not a killer, just utterly miserable.
We were all wearing wool underlayers (long sleeved vest and long johns above normal underwear), combat trousers and waterproof overtrousers and gaiters. Wool jumpers and hats, waterproof jackets. Heavy hiking socks and leather boots. Once wet, everything stayed wet. We shivered until it was warm wet and kept the wind off us using the waterproofs. There was no way we were stripping off to cross twenty torrential becks and flooded meadows every day, we just kept moving until the job was done.
Was it wise? :rolleyes: Duhh! No! but it's done now. Not to be recommended but it can be done, so long as you can keep moving. Cotton bras, panties and combats were the worst. Cold, clammy and weighed a ton when wet :( and rucksac straps rub you raw; the skin may not absorb much water but it absorbs enough to leave any rub mark vulnerable to becoming a sore. Shoulders and waists and necklines were the worst bits.

Smir (sometimes smirr) is very fine misty rain, like being inside a cloud :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy, who has spent a beautiful day on Loch Lomondside :D I've got to learn to fit photos into the text :confused:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Scoops,

Thanks for the input. The biggest reason I'm a synthetic wearing guy is because I used to do a lot of high energy, high output sports. And so, for a baselayer under those conditions, only a synthetic material pushes away body vapour at a fast enough rate. Wool's just too slow at moisture transportation. That's not important though, it's common knowledge.

I really like my wooly pully sweater. But as you said, when wet it gets saggy and heavy. It takes ages to dry. I suppose that that's an acceptable tradeoff, though.

Does anyone have some figures to back up my original question? Granted, fibre pile (or generic fleece) dries much faster when saturated than wool. Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE