3 section walking stick

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are a really easy thing to do yourself, they're just the joiners that're used on pool and snooker cues; the trouble with them is that they're not very strong at all, it doesn't need much sideways pressure to knacker them.

When I made sectional staffs and walking sticks i used the big brass ferrules from a set of Victorian chimney brushes, very strong and they look great but take a little longer to fit. Many folk used to ask for this as a mod. to their favourite stick so as to be able to get it onto planes and public transport.

You can try http://www.thestickman.co.uk/, this guy carries a range of stuff for everything you'd need for to dress a fine stick and is not too expensive, either. And of course now for the next couple of months is precisely the right time to go cut a really nice stick for yourself! :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have made a couple of sticks with a joint in the middle. They are not strong though, and I would not recommend using one if you have to lean heavily on it, or want to whack your way through the undergrowth.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Thanks, some good ideas here. I may scour the antiques centres over Christmas to see if I can find something to modify.

It wont need to be for heavy use, just the days my gout plays up, which is why I want something that can be put away if not needed.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
+1 for the Stickman.

I did see a 2 section stick where the join was a piece of threaded rod, which screwed into a nut recessed into the shaft with the 2 sections coming together within a brass ferrule mounted on the lower section which acted as a strengthening collar all around the joint. The bar having passed through the nut, went some way into the other section as a hole had been drilled a couple of inches into the receiving shaft. Hard to describe :)

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
The joint(s) make it weak but if it is only type acceptable so be it, just be careful with any sideways stress.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE