3" blade, flat grind, fixed blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I'd like to get a little flat ground fixed blade knife for myself. 3" blade would be great, even slightly shorter perhaps. Flat grind is what I am after, and in carbon steel. O1 for preference ... though if something magical in that K390 stuff is around, that would be lovely too.

Anyone got any ideas on a knife that might fit that description.

I have a UHC Roselli carpenter, which I like a lot ... but I am particularly looking for the flat ground part of the equation

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Not to push my own wares, but you are describing one of my models. The Skelf. SunstoneCustomKnives on instagram if you're interested, or Sunstonecustomknives.com

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Also, if this is against the rules in some way, please remove my comment. I've never tried to sell here.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That is a very pretty knife. :) Congratulations on it.

It is not exactly what I am looking for. By which I mean that I'd like the handle and blade to be the same width; at under 1". Much like the Roselli. It'll likely be used less as a bird and trout style dressing knife and as much in a reverse grip fo carving and paring as it'll be used for pushing kind of cuts and more delicate slicing. I'd like the stability of the blade and handle being the same width.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
That is a very pretty knife. :) Congratulations on it.

It is not exactly what I am looking for. By which I mean that I'd like the handle and blade to be the same width; at under 1". Much like the Roselli. It'll likely be used less as a bird and trout style dressing knife and as much in a reverse grip fo carving and paring as it'll be used for pushing kind of cuts and more delicate slicing. I'd like the stability of the blade and handle being the same width.
No problem sir! Thank you! I'm not entirely sure what you mean about stability and delicate slicing, but I get you on the reverse grip for draw cuts.

Have you considered getting a "puukko" and having the bevels re ground? Also, I'm not sure on your budget but check out some of the Malanika knives.

Cheers and good luck in your search!

Reactions: Nice65 and Billy-o

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You have a large selection of Bark Rivers to choose from, though I expect you’re aware of this.

Nothing Warren Smith taking your fancy?

Reactions: Billy-o

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I’m kind of in the same boat myself for a compact 3” ish bladed knife that could fit straight in the pocket.
My old Esee Izula 2 was great, I’d highly recommend one of those first and foremost. I foolishly traded mine a few years ago. Never regretted passing on a knife before but did with the izula.

I’ve recently been looking at a few “Nicer” replacements so heres a few I can remember.
Cold steel mini Pendleton in 3v.
White river M1 backpacker/caper.
Bradford guardian 3.
Lt wright frontier Valley - my current favourite but not available unless you by direct from US.

Reactions: Nice65 and Billy-o

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
D2 is as tough as 01 but has slightly better stain resistance.
Years ago on an American forum someone tried to get D2 to corrode in seawater. He soaked it for 4 weeks, nothing, he wound copper wire on it and two weeks in seawater, nothing, bundled with ordinary steel some stains but no corrosion. I don't know if it was passivated or not but the result was that D2 was very corrosion resistant. Nice test too.

Reactions: Potatohead

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
If Gene Ingram worked in O1 this wouldn’t be an issue at all. As it is, he doesn’t :). He makes a lot of terrific small pocket sized knives in flat ground S30V and D2, pretty much any one of which would be perfect in a carbon steel.

Thanks for the pointers so far.

I’m right in the middle of moving house just this minute and really wish I had this knife right now. :)

Last edited:

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
Years ago on an American forum someone tried to get D2 to corrode in seawater. He soaked it for 4 weeks, nothing, he wound copper wire on it and two weeks in seawater, nothing, bundled with ordinary steel some stains but no corrosion. I don't know if it was passivated or not but the result was that D2 was very corrosion resistant. Nice test too.

I might try and hunt that out for a look.
Yes D2 is high-carbon but also high-chromium so classed as a semi-stainless i believe.
With a good heat treat takes and keeps a wicked edge. its one of my favourites.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thats a lovely little thing. Not seen one of those before

Can’t go wrong with them, but it is a hollow ground blade. I kind of know what billy-o is after, something along the lines of the Zackerty he posted but smaller, maybe?

0B19704A-B956-4BB2-9D31-9639E01A8839.jpeg

A collection of my Warren Smith knives. At your 1 inch blade and handle width criteria, something like the top one, either a lady bushcrafter or steak knife depending. We know he can do the full flat in 01, he’s just bought a new machine that’ll do it with a lovely swedge too. :)

871E7EFC-149E-4B9D-8B4C-D39F0B66E3A7.jpeg

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Possibly a bit more like this. BTW was Stuart Mitchell's ROK in carbon steel? Wasn't around for that.

Gene-Ingram-Small-Drop-Point-Hunter.png

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Mark Hill did a modification of his PNK, mine was a scandi, but talk to Mark, known as @HillBill on the forum, he might be able to throw some ideas around and help

The video below shows the blade

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That does look nice, gra-farmer. Bit big for what I have in mind, but very nice, nevertheless. Thanks for the vid.

Here's a notion. I saw this a little while ago; a thing called a U2 by Gene Ingram. Its lineage is pretty obvious and it is very appealing both as a thing and as an idea. He used to (may still) make a fixed blade sodbuster.

I have a feeling that a TK4 in O1 might be one answer to my question.

Gene-Ingram-U2.png

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE