24hr Rat Packs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I've just acquired some 24hr rat packs packed in 2010. To my surprise some of the boil in bag meals have BBE dates which have expired. I know this sounds like a stupid question but are they still ok to eat. I remember years ago you just looked at the packing date and they were good for something like 8 years after.
Any opinions guys

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. They're probobly fine. I've eaten MREs past their expiration date with no problem (and commercial canned foods as well)

I suspect what happened is the supplier who packed them accidentally packed older items into the assembled rat packs. I further suspect that it was discovered during a quality check (whether by said packer or a government agent accepting them) and that's how they wound up on the surplus market.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I think the dates are partly to do with the food loosing its stated nutritional value rather than the food becoming toxic or anything.
Best bet is to go to A&E, boil up an MRE in the reception area and see what happens ;)

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Just spoke to a QM who said latest EU rules state they have to have a bbe date when in actual fact they are good for 10 years. Once they reach the bbe date, they are no longer issued to troops and put on the surplus market. He said brand new packs are being issued all the time to cadets that are past the bbe date.....happy days

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Best Before End date... means exactly that. The food contained within is at it's best before the date stamped.

It doesn't become inedible overnight just because it's reached that date.

Use By dates are more important as the food does go off with a few days of the date stamp.

More info here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE