.22 Pellet Mould. Pliers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Has anyone ever used such a device. Someone's given me a few kilos of scrap lead.

A company called L.E.M used to make a pellet mould. Anyone used one or got one to sell?

Many thanks.

your in for a right load of abuse now, lol.

just you wait untill all the why botherers turn up, best get your tin hat on and hide. ha ha ha

to find a lem mould is up there with rocking horse poo and honest polititions

they do occasionly turn up on ebay but expect to pay well over £100 for one

there is a guy who still makes a version that is for sale on ebay for about £80 i will source the details later, they are very good to use a friend has a pair but they are well out of my league price wise.

the standard air pellet is made from cold forming a lead wire of about 4 to 5 mm this is then chopped up into PERFECT SIZED, WEIGHTED LUMPS and then sent into a mould where it is squased and squeazed and trimed all at the same time.
one of these machines is on the lottery win list just below bentley but above gold plated transit van camper

the next choice is going to be to fly over to the states (electronicaly) and try cabales or midways and look for a .22 cal rifle bullet mould and buy that, the only real issue you will have is that it is easier for us home makers to produce heavier pellets than lighter ones, in such cases you would have to just check that the heavy pellet is not sending your rifle over the 12ftlb limits unless your lucky and own a fac.

try bolting two pieces of alli together i woul dsuggest 35 by 5mm a piece and then drill a load of 5.5mm holes straight down the centre each one about 7mm deep after then filling the lot with moulton lead and before unclamping, run a sharp knife over the top to flatten them off, and after that a hand held twist drill of 8mm or a counter sink on the top of each one to make a small indent to make the skirt seal

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
you could make your own. i believe you can use a type of plastic iirc air gunner /aigunworld made some out of ptfe. i have a copy of the mag some-ware in my cellar i will try to find it out. i have a lem mould in 22 but it is a keeper. i wish i still had the 177 version (i lent it to a mate and he was found dead a couple of weeks later, he is still missed ).as i now have access to a lathe. i would have a bash at making some up

Last edited:
you could make your own. i believe you can use a type of plastic iirc air gunner /aigunworld made some out of ptfe. i have a copy of the mag some-ware in my cellar i will try to find it out. i have a lem mould in 22 but it is a keeper. i wish i still had the 177 version (i lent it to a mate and he was found dead a couple of weeks later, he is still missed ).as i now have access to a lathe. i would have a bash at making some up

if you do let me know as i will order a few off you 22 and 177

thebrown83

Jan 3, 2012
Manchester, England
try bolting two pieces of alli together i woul dsuggest 35 by 5mm a piece and then drill a load of 5.5mm holes straight down the centre each one about 7mm deep after then filling the lot with moulton lead and before unclamping, run a sharp knife over the top to flatten them off, and after that a hand held twist drill of 8mm or a counter sink on the top of each one to make a small indent to make the skirt seal

Have you ever tried this yourself mate? If so, what were the kind of results was you getting?

thebrown83

Jan 3, 2012
Manchester, England

Have you ever tried this yourself mate? If so, what were the kind of results was you getting?

yes i have played with this idea over a few weeks , what let me down is the total lack of any engineering tooling,

i brought to lengths of all from ebay for a tenner 40mm by 10mm cut then into five 100mm long pieces, marked one side one two pieces with a sharpe pen and flatted that side on some 800 wet and dry on a plate of glass.

step two, clamp both pieces to teghet and drill two holes 5mm in diam on in each corner and fit a roll pin into it as a guide to posisioning them together

so we now have some thing that is split and can be replaced together again, slap the two plates together and in a piller drill with a 3mm drill bit bosh out a series of holes say 15mm apart on centres each hole 4mm deep.

clean out the swarf and redrill the holes with a propper 5.5mm drill, propper as in NOT from screw fix or b&Q but a propper metal engineers shop that sells drill bits by the 0.1mm not the half inch nails b and q do.

the first lot i did were 5.5mm round and 7mm long, these were then filled with lead and then we realised we had not flatted the top off, so we redid every thing and started again, once cooled the lead waste is cut but sliding a stanley knief blade from one end to the other we now have a load of full 5.5mm holes with a smoth flat top, i then twisted by hand a counter sinker into each one to make a skirt.

what i ended up with were pellets that went to well over 12ftlb when shot through a standard 12 ftbl rifle this is due to the extra weight they were , extremly heavy, i needed to drill out more lead

other points, try to ream the holes from 5.3mm to the finish of 5.5mm it makes a cleaner pellet and if you want you can increase to 5.51mm up to 5.57mm to find the size of your barrel.

secondly use a milling machine or again propper drill press , home hobby ones wobble to much on such a small depth hole

other problems were just down to basic metal work skills being dog rough and not having the tools acurrate enough to work past point of a mm

someone did offer to make me a propper pellet making machine stamp press. i though the grand he wanted was well worth it , the down size was that you needed to feed it diamentionaly perfect lead rounds that weigh to the nearest grain, neither of which i can do at an allotment shed

i also tried cutting lengths of plumbers solder and hammering it into an alli mould and trimming off the flash, again the pellets can be made but were i could not get any where was consistant accurasey on pellet shape and weights.

i did once fire a .22 bullet for a 0.22LR round mould, through an air rifle. these are very easy to get hold of from the states. it did work and it did release from the barrel but i was glad it was not mine as the kick when it left the barrel was bad, a lot of over pressuer and struggle going one for such a heavy weight.

the idea world would mean finding someone that can machine the pellet profile it a piece of alli or prefferable stainless so you can cast the lead into it and then ram or die press the mould to confirm the pellet shape.

pete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V01rDRaR2XI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UZc4i15TJE&feature=related

these pellets could be made larger and give a reasonable consistancey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J3HLI1YFNY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlIB6K_xcec&feature=related

i knew it was some where in you tube,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2de1DECtQfc, my mate offerd to make just the forming set in the middle, for a grand, you still need to buy an air compressor and perfect lead pellets for it to use though,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE