2 Weeks in Scotland

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Well clearly i'm Scottish but, i havent been right up north and down the west coast.

I plan this year for myself and my wife to take a trip up north sightseeing, relaxing and generally being tourists.

Is there any can't miss locations that anyone can recomend.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
The west coast is my favourite place to visit Applecross is worth a visit with the drive over the pass that is interesting drop down to sand where Monty Halls Beachcomber cottage was filmed and the rock shelter filmed in Ray Mears wild food is.
DSCN1604.jpg

DSCN1599.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well clearly i'm Scottish but, i havent been right up north and down the west coast.

I plan this year for myself and my wife to take a trip up north sightseeing, relaxing and generally being tourists.

Have a good trip where ever you end up Johnny

I tried to convince swmbo to do the same this year but she wanted sunshine and beaches so we're doing a raod trip through France now :(

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Ahh Nodd, i remeber your pictures from the first time you posted them, that was on my hit list of things to research, thanks very much. I planned to island hop over to harris then back through skye so applecross is en-route!! sort of

Shewie its actually the other way around here, i have been trying to go to Cuba and the wife has talked me out of it and staying at home, bummer, so i'm going fishing in the northwest territorys next year to make up for it. What a nightmare

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hiya Johnny

I have a planned a similar trip with my wife in September, we were looking at parking the car in Mallaig and then using the ferries to visit Knoydart and the small isles, Rhum, Eigg etc.

Theres a chance we might take the ferry from Rosyth to Brugges though Rich, and bam about in campsites in Belgium and France.

I don't know much about right up North though. Can anyone cast a light there?

Rob

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Hope its not the first two weeks in September if so I'll likley bump into you.

I had planned the same but going to Skara Brae, leaving the car on the mainland.

I was going to buy an island hopper ticket for the other island and take the car, but it really is the bigger ones

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Smoo caves and Durness up the top,. Oh and if your on the western isles, you have to go see the beach and black house at braeclete - Golden Eagles and Sea Eagles abound.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
We were up on the west coast at the end of May/beginning of June. We were based at Morar which is about 2 miles from Mallaig. It was a fantastic location, as there was stacks of things to do around the area.

The trip on the Western Isles to Knoydart was fantastic and the food in the pub superb.
http://www.knoydart-ferry.co.uk/
http://www.theoldforge.co.uk/

I've been to the small isles a few times and we went back to Eigg this time, as the crossing was the shortest - our 18mth old was a bit fed up on the trip to Knoydart. If you don't want to take the CalMac, Arisaig Marine run trips from Arisaig.
http://www.arisaig.co.uk/

We also did the ferry trip from Kilchoan to Tobermory - just so our eldest could see Balamory in real life - he was delighted! Skye was also easily accessible on the CalMac from Mallaig.

The beaches up there are fantastic. Camusdarach and Sanna Bay are justly popular, but it's worth checking your OS map or asking the locals, as you can find some spectacular little beaches to walk to. You can zoom out from the link below to see the location.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...4123,-5.918&spn=0.004455,0.00912&z=17&iwloc=A

Plenty of wildlife to see too - highlights were deer, otter (the first time I've seen an otter in the wild), eagles, hen harrier, porpoise, dolphins and seals

The one place I'd say to call in if you're passing, is the station café at Glenfinnan. The Jacobite steam train stops there at 11 each morning and we happened to get there at about 10:30 and decided it was time for a coffee. Fresh scones were just being taken out of the oven and we couldn't resist. The best scones I've ever eaten. (Sorry Mum)

I could go on and on, but I don't want to start boring folks! I'll gladly answer any questions though. Make sure you pack midgie repellent. We were hoping they wouldn't have started in May, but they were early this year.

I'll add a few snaps when I've sorted them out.

DSC_4804.jpg

DSC_5748.jpg

DSC_4866.jpg

DSC_4929.jpg

DSC_4949.jpg

DSC_5329.jpg

DSC_5822.jpg

DSC_5980.jpg

DSC_6178.jpg

DSC_6195.jpg

DSC_6212.jpg

DSC_6311.jpg

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Like scanker I can recomend Morar abd the surrounding area.
their are some stunning beaches and veiws with the added bonus of some great sea food
aswell.(wee tip if you go to mallaig head for the fish merchant for your fish straight off the boat and for a cheap filling breakie head for the fisherman mission )
S7300535.JPG

picasabackground.jpg

Picture&

Picture%20025.jpg

mallaig%20119.jpg

S7300563.JPG

would u believe this is in Scotland

087.JPG

mallaig%20129.jpg

S7300582.JPG

and a wee arty one to finish

Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE