2 Person Cooking Set Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I'm at a bit of a loss to find a 'complete' solution, so any advice would be most welcome.

I'm after a kettle (preferably with a whistle and can be hung from a tripod if needed), 2 mugs, 2 plates, a pan for frying bacon, and something for cooking beans in (the Mrs has an allergy, so needs to be separate.

As small and light as possible, naturally.

I quite fancy the Tatonka picnic set, but there's no 'proper' kettle and I can't find out how small it packs away to. Campri make something, but I've not had good experiences with their gear in the past.

Ideally, I'd like everything to fit together nicely when packed away.

Can anyone suggest something suitable?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Trangia 25 comes with two pans/bowls, frying pan and can get a kettle all that fit inside each other. Kettle doesn't whistle though.
MSR and GSI also do some nice sets.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
Thanks for the reply :)

I had a Trangia about 20 years ago, and that was the last time I used a meths stove. Have they improved since then, or will I be praying for Superman-esque eye lasers to speed up the boil?

I currently have a Coleman F1 Power and use bits and pieces from all over the place (Tesco kettle, plates from QD etc). I'm very happy with the stove, so ideally I'd be keeping that.

Currently on a train with sporadic internet access, so having trouble finding photos of MSR and GSI sets, but will look when I'm home in an hour.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
The Trangia 27 2 UL comes with two saucepans, a frying pan and a kettle (no whistle though) and it is designed to allow you to use a gas burner / converter instead of the meths stove, should you so wish.

Eurohike also used to do an adventure cookset, including a kettle for £20, which was basically a copy of the Trangia, but not as compact. They do not seem to be making them any more, but they do pop up on ebay from time to time.

I have both of the above and unless space and weight are a consideration, as the Eurohike is bulkier and heavier than the Trangia, then there is not a lot between them as far as cooking goes.

Gelert also do a Phoenix 7 cookset which is also a copy of the Trangia, but some what cheaper, but I've never used one, so can not offer an opinion on it.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - I want to buy everything mentioned!

RE: The Eagle Kettle - I've seen one once in person, and wanted one since. Not had any luck getting one though. Lost out on an eBay auction a few weeks ago (curse those 'last 2 seconds' bidders!).

I think the GSI and MSR sets are a bit too 'refined' for me. They certainly look amazing and would undoubtedly more than do the job, but they don't really fit into my idea of 'roughing it' as it were. Better suited for a camping holiday than overnight stays in the forest (I probably should have mentioned my intention in the first post - sorry). I've added the MSR Quick™ 2 System to my wishlist though, so I'll most likely end up with one in a few weeks anyway. Heh

I think I'll give the Gelert a go. It seems to be a good (cheap) way to see how meths stoves have progressed, plus I have a discount code for their online store :)

rg598

Native
I think you will have a hard time finding the type of set you describe for "roughing it" purposes in the woods. Most companies that make equipment for people who travel deep in the woods don't make such elaborate sets because no one will carry them. They are typically made for car camping. A backpacker going into the woods is not going to carry plates and a kettle, certainly not when "roughing it". That being said, all of those products (in smaller quantities, i.e. MSR pot and cup) have been used for everything from through hiking to backwoods hunting. I think they will serve you well when you get them. The Gelert sets look good too, although I have no experience with them.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I think you will have a hard time finding the type of set you describe

You're not wrong there, mate! Knowing what I want can be a real pain at times :(

I found the Eurohike set that Kernowek Scouser mentioned on eBay in 'new' condition. Well, I think this is the same one. Made an offer of £13 delivered, which was accepted.

It appears to tick the right boxes, and I guess I'll find out soon enough. Of course, paying so little means that I might 'have' to buy something else to balance things out......

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
140 quid ? Solid silver I hope ?

there are lots of sets like highlander and vango that are just generic with a manufacturer slapping there name on them. They have all the cups kettles and pans you'll need, and you can select what you want. Or you could make one up yourself, of better quality.

I have the coleman exponent 3 pan cookset. Very good very lightweight, good non stick. There is plenty of room to fit a small kettle inside, like the generic ones every brand totes as there own, as well as two plates and two nesting cups. One fault with it was the pot gripper crumbled, literally.

If efficiency is a factor, get one with plastic lids and flat bottoms, not milled,and made from aluminium. Plastic lids are also lighter.

I'd start with looking for the kettle that will let you fit two decent nesting cups in the hole! The rest isn't going to be that widley ranging in options.

Its not got a whistle but for boiling water,

https://www.vango.co.uk/cookware/powerex-kettle-0.9l.html

Last edited:

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I must admit that I rather like the look of that Vango kettle. It made me look at more Vango stuff and I could have quite easily put together exactly what I wanted. Ho hum. The only experience I have with their stuff are their cork handled walking poles, which I'm very impressed with.

Still, the set I ordered should do fine, and if not, I can probably fill in the blanks with the Vango stuff.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The Vango kettle is the only one I've seen with a heat exchanger.

Vango stuff exept for the powerex stuff, is like loads of other stuff, but thoes kits have everything. The nesting cups are years old design, tiny and laughable, but you could pick and choose.

What are you going to use for cups? (cups?)

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I currently use a 500ml Tatonka mug and the mrs has a non-descript enamel mug.

Looking at a photo of the set I won, I doubt I'll be able to fit even an egg cup in the kettle, which is a bit of an oversight on my behalf. I'm starting to think that I'll end up with a shed full of partial cooksets, and end up carrying around Frankencookset like I do now. Heh

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - I want to buy everything mentioned!

RE: The Eagle Kettle - I've seen one once in person, and wanted one since. Not had any luck getting one though. Lost out on an eBay auction a few weeks ago (curse those 'last 2 seconds' bidders!).

I think the GSI and MSR sets are a bit too 'refined' for me. They certainly look amazing and would undoubtedly more than do the job, but they don't really fit into my idea of 'roughing it' as it were. Better suited for a camping holiday than overnight stays in the forest (I probably should have mentioned my intention in the first post - sorry). I've added the MSR Quick™ 2 System to my wishlist though, so I'll most likely end up with one in a few weeks anyway. Heh

I think I'll give the Gelert a go. It seems to be a good (cheap) way to see how meths stoves have progressed, plus I have a discount code for their online store :)

Eagle Kettle
http://www.techthor.com/lamp/shopexd.asp?id=233 replies in English, very good seller.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE