2 nd attempt on spoons

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
DSC_0002.jpg

well beginner start of with Birch, hmmm I wished I did (as a beginner), the Pear wood was tough :p

one spoon is usefull the other was well lets say good practise :D

sorry the linseed oil had just been applied

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Nothing wrong with those for a first attempt, they will do the job ! However I would leave them untreated or treat them with vegetable oil rather than Linseed as you are going to be eating from them and I dont think Linseed oil would be a good thing to digest ( may be wrong ?? )
Keep up the good work, they can only get better !
Eifion

Last edited by a moderator:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nothing wrong with those for a first attempt, they will do the job ! However I would leave them untreated or treat them with vegetable oil rather than Linseed as you are going to be eating from them and I dont think Linseed oil would be a good thing to digest ( may be wrong ?? )
Keep up the good work, they can only get better !
Eifion
It depends on the type of linseed ... boiled or raw linseed for furniture etc is not too good to eat but edible linseed (also known as Flaxseed) is good and is sold in healthfood shops - it is what I use on spoons :)

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
In reply to Bushwhacker Bob. I know he is not going to eat the spoons, and I understand that the oil will be absorbed in to the wood, but inevitably some of the oil is going to dry on or just below the surface. When the spoon is introduced to liquid again the oil will mix with the liquid. John Fenna has mentioned Flaxseed oil on this thread which I did not know was a form of linseed oil, but have since looked it up.
Follow this link to a website which explains the difference. www.linseedflaxseedoil.com
Here is an extract from that website:- 'Because of the heating process used linseed oil is not safe to be eaten, while flaxseed oil can be consumed and is used as a natural supplement for dieting'.

www.erknives.com

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
hmm interesting;
the oil I used is cold pressed Linseed oil made for Oil Painting artists, quite expensive and sold in small botles (luckily my father paints with oil paint) :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Nice to see another beginning spoon carver in these part of Europe ^^ (dat vind ik nou leuk) and aint looking to bad there.
And as had been said before, those knots wouldnt not have been the easiest way to begin, but hey I pulled through okay.
Yours sincerely and with a friendly Welcome to the Forum
Ruud

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

thanks for the warm words and all of your time, in the meanwhile I made some better pics.
The two other spoons are from hazeltree. Nice wood for carving
By coincidence I found out my logo :)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
hey Bushwacker
thanks man! I bought a Frost wood carving 163, croocked/spoon knife this winter but eh I think I f## up the grind, one side is sharp and the other most important feels sharp but cuts crap. Maybe I made the bevel too round...hmmm stuff for pros!

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey Mors,
How do you mean one side, cause only one side of the blade should be sharpened, and factory standard with the 163, is the outside of the knife where the bevel lies that is. If your doubting your judgment on sharpening, just throw on a picture.
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE