1st Review. Highlander Forces 33ltr Patrol Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
I have been using the Highlander Tracpac 35 & Forces 66 for a number of years now. I have had them in both jungle and desert conditions and I use them 5 days a week when I'm running courses, they've been subjected to all weather conditions and river crossings and they are still in great nick - now thats value for money in my book :)

spoony said:
Karrimor and highlander are worlds apart,

Spoony I've been through a few Karrimors in my day and Highlander gets the cream cake as far as I'm concerned - it's great kit for a reasonable price

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The zips on mine are fine. They're big chunky numbers and don't appear to be able of opening due to expansion of the pocket. You'll be fine..

Has anyone tried their copy of the Berghaus Vulcan Cyclops bag that sells for £99??

Dogface

Jun 16, 2005
Surrey
I've had a Highlander Forces 44 for some time now, and I'd highly recomend it - light but strong, comfortably and just the right size. For about £30. To be honest, I can't see the point in paying more when the 44 does a perfect job. I must be missing something. A label, perhaps?

Regards!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Spacemonkey said:
The zips on mine are fine. They're big chunky numbers and don't appear to be able of opening due to expansion of the pocket. You'll be fine..

Has anyone tried their copy of the Berghaus Vulcan Cyclops bag that sells for £99??

Cheers for that. I think I'll give the Forces 99 a try.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
scanker said:
Can one of the Highlander owners give me an opinion on the zips please? I have two old rucksacks from years ago - one's a regatta, can't think of the other brand - and they're both just a little too small and really poor quality. The zips, in particular, are prone to "splitting open" if the pockets are anywhere near 3/4 full.
I'm thinking about getting one of the bigger Highlander packs and was just wondering if the zips were fairly sturdy? TIA. :)

I have a highlander and the zips are poo, hard to open with bare hands never mind gloves, maybe i got the friday afternoon one, also heard bad things apart, customer services, have a prob and they dont want to know, this was discussed on a yahoo mailing list i was on,

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
That's suprising. I sent them an email ages ago with a few suggestions for improvements which they said they would consider for the next re design (they probably won't though!) and it was a prompt reply. I must admit though that nothing has gone wrong with any of my Highlander kit. Yes, it is not going to last through a war, nor last a lifetime, but that's not what I bought it for. It's cheap enough to not give a damn about, and I accpet that, so I buy it. However, saying that, some of my older Berghaus and Karrimor sacks in the past seem to be on a par with it, yet seem to cost a whole lot more.

If you can afford the designer label, and want that-then fine, they are good bags. If you can't then you won't be dissapointed with the Highlander bags, after all, at that price there CAN be more than one.....

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
spoony said:
Karrimor and highlander are worlds apart,

Wow. Old thread. Not as old as my Highlander Nevis 55 back pack though. It's at leat seven years old, probably closer to ten, and it's good as new. Having said that, my Karrimor pack's even older ( so old it has metal buckles and draw strings instead of plastic clips and velcro ) so perhaps I'm just really careful with my kit. :rolleyes:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Ancient thread but I've just got one based on the strength of this review. Don't know how on earth you fitted that lot in (picture no longer works) but I've got:
• Carinthia Tropen sleeping bag
• Tenth Wonder XL Hornet
• Alpkit Hunka XL bivi bag
• Swedish Trangia
• Poncho
• Water bottle
• Silk liner

Still a bit of room for food etc. but CCF mat will have to strap to the outside

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
With the addition of a bungee from the 99p store (guess how much?) I've strapped my sit pad to the outside (could probably fit it inside but it gets dirty & wet). Everything nice and compact which should help for bashing through the jungles of East Sussex! :)

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
i have had the pro force 44 version for 4 years and at 38quid new has been a fantastic purchase and a very comfortable pack. the only downside is i wish the side pockets were a bit taller or fitted as seperate items like my sabre and roc.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi,
May I ask what type/size is the sleeping back. The reason I ask is that I got a 3 season bag from Argos (with stuff sack) and after putting it into my 75L Karrimor rucksack, I only had room left for a pair of socks, and an after-eight mint (OK, I'm exaggerating, but there was very little space left, and certainly not enough to cram in the stuff you got in half the space.)

I ended up strapping the sleeping back to the outside of the pack with the tent and sleeping mat, but had it rained heavily, I doubt the water 'resistant' stuff sack for the sleeping bag would have kept it dry.

... (And the gymnastics required to get it back in the stuff sack afterwards were worthy of a 'you've been framed' special award, had there been a video handy).

I don't no of it's Any use to you mate, but I was given some really great advice on here regarding stowing sleeping bags in rucksacks, and that is to quite simply do away with the stuff sack and just stuff the sleeping bag straight into the bag right at the bottom, then with all your stuff on too it will naturally compress it down but will take up a lot less room!!
Seems to work well for me but I'm using a bigger bag!!
Cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE