111 Hiker help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Hi everyone, need some advice on this if poss. Got an old 111 Hiker out the shed, cleaned it up, half filled it with methanol and fired it up. Brilliant, no leaks, perfect, stuck a pan on it with 1 cupfull of water and this is the result after 15 mins, hot but not boiling, wot am I doing wrong

uny3anug.jpg

e4e3u3e8.jpg

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I've no idea how old this is. It says in the lid when using alcohol or meth spirit to place the restrictor tube in the middle of the burner, so i have. Do you think i would get better reults with different fuel?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Try it with paraffin and without the restrictor tube. Have a good look at the jet and see if there's a letter stamped into it. If it has an 'M' you should be able to burn petrol or paraffin. They were never very good on alcohol without a dedicated alcohol (marked 'A') jet. Alcohol burners like loads of fuel & not much air.
Bring it to Barbon and we'll sort it for you. The bloke who's bringing me is a stovie of note.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ross isn't taking me to Barbon.

My error, he said recently he wanted to brush up his bushcraft basics, your taking a stovie so put 2 and 2 together but but got 5.

The 111T will run on methanol with the restrictor tube but really you want an 'A' jet from Base-camp but..... it really is not fuel of choice, use your methanol in a nice real Trangia or Clas Olson Purple Flame clone (or even the dreaded army monstrosity). To be honest I've run mine on meths just to try it out. I've got a load of methanol so next few camps I'll just be cooking on Trangia's and a Heatpal or two, use some fuel up. Fire that 111T up on paraffin or naphtha and its an impressive 10,000BTU stove :) The Army ones I've had came with the 'M' jet fitted. Optimus themselves say that fitting the 'A' jet will halve boiling times.

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Just so you can see which jet you have. I suspect burning as it is that you have the multifuel jet which may burn alcohol but not well. Kero's cheap and does well all year round.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Er.. on the subject of 111 help, I just acquired a centreforge with a 111 burner, and the non-return valve is fubar..

Bilmo, if you're reading this, do you by any chance have a spare rubber 'pip' you can bring to Barbon, I'll pay you obviously.

Its the type of pip that works on its own, not the one with the little brass carrier.

Oh yes, I think the rubber washer on the NRV is toast as well...

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE