1 for the titanium junkies!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi gents, a quick couple of questions for you titanium junkies!!!

I have been looking at some nice shiny titanium pots, specifically the alphakit tipot, it's basically a saucepan with lid that doubles as a fry pan.

My questions are these, how do titanium pans fair on an open fire? Im looking to buy a honey stove too as well as using it over fire, gas and meths stove.
And has anyone here modified a titanium pot so it has a bail arm similar to the zebra so it can be hung over an open fire?
Or do you no of any titanium pans with a bail arm already?

Cheers
Steve

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Hi gents, a quick couple of questions for you titanium junkies!!!

I have been looking at some nice shiny titanium pots, specifically the alphakit tipot, it's basically a saucepan with lid that doubles as a fry pan.

My questions are these, how do titanium pans fair on an open fire? Im looking to buy a honey stove too as well as using it over fire, gas and meths stove.
And has anyone here modified a titanium pot so it has a bail arm similar to the zebra so it can be hung over an open fire?
Or do you no of any titanium pans with a bail arm already?

Cheers
Steve

Is it the Alpkit one you are referring to?big_mytipot.jpg

Here's some information for you regarding Titanium cookware in general..

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-repair/topics/34123.html

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No worries about titanium around heat mate :)

It laughs at it.

Like stainless steel though, its a bad conductor of heat;expect hot spots.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
A few years back (before I had read all the stuff online about how you can get hot spots which will burn your food and all that Ti related stuff) I used a friends snowpeak Ti 1400 pot to cook a stew in on an open fire. In all honestly it worked fine , I was careful about where I had the pot and stirred it every once in a while .The stew came out well after about 2 hours of cooking there was a small amount of food stuck to the pot (not burnt) and this cleaned off quite easy.

I have used a small 700ml ti pot cup as my main water boiler for some time now but have never got round to buying my own big ti pot for cooking real food in ,,,,,errrrrm until last night,,,,, :)

Despite having good success with the stew in a ti pot a few years ago some of the stuff I have read online about cooking real food in ti pots has steadied my wallet hand over the recent years, however last night I thought stuff it .
I have been looking at getting a new real food sized pot for a while and in the end decided that as I have cooked good food in a ti pot before I can do it again . So I clicked buy on an evernew 1300 ti pot

At the end of the day I believe its all about learning how to use your equipment well, A ti pot has big advantages to me with the weight and durability . If these advantages mean I need to take the time learning the dos and donts of my new ti pot so that I can cook real food well in it then I don't mind doing this .

Incidentally there is not so much difference in the heat transfer propertys of titanium and stainless steel so I have been informed . The ti is just much thinner so will heat in places faster, so as long as you remember this when cooking on a fire and dont over heat the pot I recon you will be fine

I will let you know how I get on with mine when it arrives and I have had chance to use it for a proper meal on a fire :)

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Cheers for the info guys!!
If titanium is similar to stainless then I can live with that!!
But how exactly do you cook over the fire? Apart from sticking them in the embers!!
I am thinking about modifying a pot and putting a steel band round it so I can suspend it about a fire!
Do you guys have anything similar??
Cheers
Steve

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Cheers for the info guys!!
If titanium is similar to stainless then I can live with that!!
But how exactly do you cook over the fire? Apart from sticking them in the embers!!
I am thinking about modifying a pot and putting a steel band round it so I can suspend it about a fire!
Do you guys have anything similar??
Cheers
Steve

For just boiling water stick it in the fire or what I do for cooking food is to lay 2 small but thick green sticks across the area I want my pot to go and put the pot on them, once they look like they are going to light up the lift the pot off and replace them. Its not much hassle to do and it means the pot is not in direct contact with the heat source so helps to reduce the risk of a scorched pan . I do this with any pan I use for fire cooking no matter what its made from .
I have on occasion of course suspended a pot over a fire but only if it has a bail arm on it and I can be bothered to make a pot hanger .

I dont really see the point (my personal opinion ) on buying a new pot only to butcher it just to add a bail arm so it can be suspened over a fire when its quite easy to fire cook well without the need to suspend a pot . It just takes a bit of practice and an understanding that not all camp fires you have will burn the same as you will use different wood and it is inevitable it will be sometimes in different stages of seasoning .

My best advise is just to go slow and always assume the fire is to hot, just practice in different areas depending on wind direction, practice with different distances from the heat source (on the ground or balanced on green sticks) and it wont take long to get a good feel for the fire :) I have a lot of fun experimenting like this with fire cooking

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
For just boiling water stick it in the fire or what I do for cooking food is to lay 2 small but thick green sticks across the area I want my pot to go and put the pot on them, once they look like they are going to light up the lift the pot off and replace them. Its not much hassle to do and it means the pot is not in direct contact with the heat source so helps to reduce the risk of a scorched pan . I do this with any pan I use for fire cooking no matter what its made from .
I have on occasion of course suspended a pot over a fire but only if it has a bail arm on it and I can be bothered to make a pot hanger .

I dont really see the point (my personal opinion ) on buying a new pot only to butcher it just to add a bail arm so it can be suspened over a fire when its quite easy to fire cook well without the need to suspend a pot . It just takes a bit of practice and an understanding that not all camp fires you have will burn the same as you will use different wood and it is inevitable it will be sometimes in different stages of seasoning .

My best advise is just to go slow and always assume the fire is to hot, just practice in different areas depending on wind direction, practice with different distances from the heat source (on the ground or balanced on green sticks) and it wont take long to get a good feel for the fire :) I have a lot of fun experimenting like this with fire cooking

Sounds like a plan to me salad!! Thanks for the info mate!!
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE