01 tool steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Hi all,

Just wondered how much you all pay for 01 tool steel?

Seems very expensive to me.

30mmx3mmx1000mm for £23. :eek:

John

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hunter_zero said:
Hi all,

Just wondered how much you all pay for 01 tool steel?

Seems very expensive to me.

John
Even so, thats enough for four good sized knives, so not as expensive as it first seems.

Ogri the trog

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hunter_zero said:

John

:eek: Indeed ! Phoenix steel in Sheffield only charge £4.82 for 500mm of 3x30mm GFS 01. That makes it £9.64 for 1000mm. Quite a diference !
Theres postage on top of that I know, but I normally order a few bits at once and they still only charge £8 for P+P. Spread that £8 cost over a few bits of steel and see how much cheaper it suddenly becomes.

http://www.toolsteels.co.uk/prods.html#

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I paid about £23 for a piece of 4mm x 500mm x 250mm from Cromwells.

Although i dont think i will deal with them again. I ordered several pieces of steel from them last summer about june time, they said it would be in within a day or two and that they would ring me when it was in. One week later, no call, so i rang them. 'Oh were still waiting for it'. Left it with them, they said they'd ring me when it was in. Two weeks, no phone call, so i rang them again same story.

This went on for another few weeks, untill i rang them every couple of weeks instead of every week, it got to about October and i gave up, just couldn't be bothered anymore.

I recently placed another order (around Jan 15th), they said it was going to be with them within two days and they'd ring me.... sufficient to say i'm still waiting and its the 23rd of Feb. :cussing: :aargh4: :censored:

Sep 7, 2006
Kent
Longstrider said:
:eek: Indeed ! Phoenix steel in Sheffield only charge £4.82 for 500mm of 3x30mm GFS 01. That makes it £9.64 for 1000mm. Quite a diference !
Theres postage on top of that I know, but I normally order a few bits at once and they still only charge £8 for P+P. Spread that £8 cost over a few bits of steel and see how much cheaper it suddenly becomes.

http://www.toolsteels.co.uk/prods.html#

Hi, would I be right in saying , that using ground flat stock to make blades requires, (once the blade profile has been ground/shaped) heating and quenching to create the hardness necessary for a blade to hold a good edge?

M

mikehill

katana said:
Hi, would I be right in saying , that using ground flat stock to make blades requires, (once the blade profile has been ground/shaped) heating and quenching to create the hardness necessary for a blade to hold a good edge?
You'd be right :)
Mike.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, i paid about £12.50 for 40 mm by 4mm by 500mm for o1tool steel at
woodberry chillcott in bristol . cheers topknot

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Thanks for all the advice guys!

This stuff is proper 01 tool steel, good stuff and I guess as I can pick it up as and when, not that over priced coz I don't have to pay postage.

I've just finished shaping the stock in to a bushy blade.
Now to bevel and harden in the coal fire ( multi-fuel stove).

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE