£30 Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
sorry

just want to point out that my post was intended to be humour and not to be taken seriously at all

:smashfrea bad Tant

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
small axe (B&Q) £4.99
Small bow saw (B&Q) £6.99
Pack of razors (Boots) £1.19
Small magnifying glass (Woolworths) £0.99
4x4m Tarp (B&Q) £5.99
Metal bowl (Matalan) £1.99
Cheap sleeping bag (Woolworth) £5.99
Nylon fishing line (Any tackle shop) £1.25

leaving 62p for emergencies!!! :wave:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'm surprised that no one has said so far that between the contents of what they have in their jacket and any pouch that they might have (such as the Maxpedition Thermite) that they could save themselves 30 notes!

This is the main reason why I dislike keeping all my gear - especially important gear - all in the ruck. It so easy to lose it or get separated from it because of accident or malicious intent.

My food provisions might be a bit low and shelter would be a poncho but as far as everything else would be concerned, as long as I could light a good fire, I think I'd be OK.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Adi in the spirit of it... another hypothetical question...

You're away somewhere with some friends in a pub and there are some woods close by. You have £30 in your pocket and decide upon an impromptu few nights in the woods. what would you get?

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
isn't the whole point of having money is that it is for spending on gadgets, gizmos and all that good stuff we just cannot do without? :roll:

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Squidders said:
Adi in the spirit of it... another hypothetical question...

You're away somewhere with some friends in a pub and there are some woods close by. You have £30 in your pocket and decide upon an impromptu few nights in the woods. what would you get?

probably very drunk.....

simon

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I would buy as much as I could. :eek:):

Here's my list:
-a wool blanket - warmth
-a heavy butcher knife like an old hickory (about the only decent knife you will find arouind here for $5)
-a small carborundum stone for sharpening
-a poly tarp - shelter
-2 garbage bags - ground cloth and poncho
-some twine
-picture hanging wire - for snares
-hooks, mono fishing line, and sinkers
-a pot, cup and spoon
-oatmeal
-rice
-beans
-flour
-butter or shortening
-bic lighter
-matches

Luxuries:
-dried milk
-dried fruit
-baking powder

I'd scrounge a water bottle from a discarded pop bottle or splurge on a 1 liter diet pepsi. :)

Around here I think I could easily cover the nonluxuries for £30 and maybe even get it all fro that price. A good wool blanket though might be hard to come by. But a cheapo synthetic sleeping bag can be had for $15 brand new and maybe second hand for $5 or $10. I would like a hatchet but there's not enough moola for one that would work properly. No pack would be needed as I would roll everything up in the blanket and sling it across my shoulder.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Thats a good quetsion since im under 18 i can't get beer so thats that plan gone :claping: so i have two choices wait around the train station and rob other peoples bags take what i need and then "find" it and return to the police station or 2 all i would by would be a deceent cheap knife(any kind really), a lighter and matches, and the rest would be on a pot and food and maybe fish line hooks and i would proberly enjoy the trip more. :super:
Aadm :swordfigh

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
This exercise can teach us several lessons. First, though striving to acquire the best ( whatever each of us calls it) in kit is a valid goal,more humble kit can still perform admirably. It is to easy to get locked into this 'Rolls Royce' mindset and forget the idea is to get from A to Z and enjoy the wind and scenary. An old, two tone and rusted Vauxhall dodging the breakers for 30 BP so to speak. Second, It opens our eyes to options and resources. I am always thinking 'what if ' whenever I shop. Some people see candy containers, I see PSKs and Billys. It's all just another form of adaptation. You can take a primative course and spend an afternoon knapping a coke bottle into a blade or know the store down the street has a few kitchen knives that would make Oetzi salivate. I attended a local gunclub meeting last night. They were trying to unwrap a shotgun up for raffle. Nobody wanted to actually USE their varied high end, miracle steel custom folders on the edge dulling tape, carboard, bubble wrap and plastic tie tape. I pulled out my Mora neck knife. Amid the comments of carrying a concealed blade in a room full of firearms, ammunition and BEER it eviscerated the packaging.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE