£30 Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Inspired by a game they play on the forums at Equipped.....

Here's the deal... You've got a long weekend ahead of you.. It's Friday morning and you've just stepped off the train in a small country town. The plan is to head out into the nearby forest and hills you've been told about as a good area for Bushcraft. Quick visit to the loo... and, :censored: your rucksack has been nicked.. You've got your train ticket for Sunday, £30 and whatever's in your pockets.. which of course you've kept legal for travelling...

What're ye gonnae do? How're ye gonnae splash the cash?

Over to you

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
A pot with a lid and possibly a bail handle. A Knife(mora) if possible but not to likely here in Ireland as they are hard to come by. I would have my SAK on me as I always do when travelling in the outdoors so next would be the best axe or hatched I could find.

Then a cheap pack, some food, water and a couple of bin liners or compost bags. Some matchs and lighter and a small box of fire lighters just in case and if I still had the money. Two candles and couple a meters of cord.

Thats it really I would have me mini survival kit in my jacket which I keep on me in such places so fishing kit and snare wire would be there some tinder and matchs but this for emergances hence the reason for buying the matchs and lighter etc.

Now that you have brought this up I would possible have my mora around my neck under my clothing and enough cord for a bow drill in pocket which would just be enough to make things comfortable. (If I had just gotten of a Plane it would be different off course)

James

Excellent question by the way :biggthump

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
a cheap poncho, billy can , a fixed blade or locking folder ( opinel probably on this budget) perhaps some fishooks if it is fishing country, and a hand fishing line

then off to the supermarket for a bottle of water to use as ......... a water bottle :eek:): and a free plastic bag for carrying everything

anything left over ?

coffee cos i like it, oats cos they make a good filler up to keep you going
iodine drops for the water (but i can always boil it if i need to instead)

and a lottery ticket cos i just believe that luck that bad has to change sometime

Tant

ps i always have a lighter in my pocket but a box of matches wouldnt go amiss i guess

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I would lose 15c about 10p on the plastic bag not free here. Also if it was in the country I would probably have used the gents in Pub (not to many public loos in here either) always a useful place to start a suprise adventure. :wink:

James

Justin Time said:
Inspired by a game they play on the forums at Equipped.....

Here's the deal... You've got a long weekend ahead of you.. It's Friday morning and you've just stepped off the train in a small country town. The plan is to head out into the nearby forest and hills you've been told about as a good area for Bushcraft. Quick visit to the loo... and, :censored: your rucksack has been nicked.. You've got your train ticket for Sunday, £30 and whatever's in your pockets.. which of course you've kept legal for travelling...

What're ye gonnae do? How're ye gonnae splash the cash?

Over to you

And don't forget Bob's Place :biggthump

In fact here is a CS Bushman kit That should be well within the 30 pound range, and change to spare!! :naughty:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i cant see a whole lot of those bits being for sale in crianlarich or gairloch big target :?:

matches plasters and birthday candles on a good day

Tant

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Knife a medium size opinel, candles, a wool blanket from a charity shop, lenth of rope or parracord. 1Kg rice to bulk up wild food, bottle of water, a pan for cooking in again from a charity shop. and a bin bag to make a basha. Use the blanket and rope / cord to hold it all on my back. and off I go.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
First of all i'd probably weep, then i'd be angry. then i'd realise all the stick i'd get over at this forum and BB and weep some more :)wink:).

Opinel, charity shop blanket, matches, bin bags, cheap cord, then food. Tequila for warming the gut!

But, at my level of skill, i'd find it very difficult to cope with a situation with such little stuff. I could do it, but it wouldn't be easy.

Nice idea too!

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
ok well first off no trains here and the island is on 194quare km so i could walk home and restock

but on a serius note depending on where i was ie in a town
first thing i would want is a knife cheap fixed blade or an opinel

then food rice or pasta and a bottle of water the bottle can be reused
then a billy of some type

matches for fire and a lighter couple of candles for light

shelter cheap tarp or bin bags bundle of cheep garden string

blanket from oxfam or similar

then with the psk i would have in my pocket i could snare rabbits
or if close to the sea or river lake etc catch fish

and as its only for the weekend would'nt worry to much about being a little hungry

but if i ever find the git who nicked my pack he better be bigger than me lol

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Cool.

If this really happened, I guess I'd be heading for the nearest pound shop, charity shop or similar.

I'd have on me a knife and firesteel, a foldable cup, tin opener and a few other bits and bobs. I'd be looking to find...

Something to carry stuff in.
A tarp, bin liner, sheet of plastic or whatever.
Cheap blanket.
A candle.
A pot or billy
String or cord
a spoon.

For food:
Some rice
Instant mash
sausages
bacon
beans
bottle of water

That's 12 items for £30, I'd be lucky to get em all I reakon. You'd have to do a bit of blagging to fill your kit I think. :D

I certainly wouldn't bother with big knives or axes and such for this scenario (unless I came accross a second hand tool shop and could pick something up for a £1.), my SAK would have to suffice.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
What kinda knife would you have on you?

Pretty much any time of the day or night (unless I'm out for a beer) you can prolly find me with either a mini griptillian or a small sebenza (I have arbitrary good reason to carry) and a SAK. These would be more than enough for a weekend in this situation and spashing out even £10 on a Mora would be a waste of your dosh IMO - better spent on a blanket or a tarp.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
All this shopping at the charity shop is after you have informed the police that your £60+ rucksack with about £300 worth of gear has been nicked?

Telling them that there is now some thief running around with an axe and knife in their quiet country town should get some attention :rolmao:

Guess I am just a wuss, but I think that I would be too furious :rant: to just wander over to the charity shop, then head to the woods for the weekend like nothing had happened.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
C_Claycomb said:
All this shopping at the charity shop is after you have informed the police that your £60+ rucksack with about £300 worth of gear has been nicked?

Telling them that there is now some thief running around with an axe and knife in their quiet country town should get some attention :rolmao:

Guess I am just a wuss, but I think that I would be too furious :rant: to just wander over to the charity shop, then head to the woods for the weekend like nothing had happened.
Yeah, I think that after going ballistic and emitting some of the loudest profanities ever heard on planet Earth that I would be in no mood for charity shops :rant:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Adi007 said:
Yeah, I think that after going ballistic and emitting some of the loudest profanities ever heard on planet Earth that I would be in no mood for charity shops :rant:

how much do second hand flamethrowers cost?

could i get one for £30 ?

i would be sooooooooooo tempted lol

Tant

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
In true Scooby Doo style... my three endings.

Flame thrower ending:

£10 - Garden watering hand pump thing with a nozzle
£5 - Unleaded petrol
£1 - Fairy Liquid (to mix with the petrol)
£5 - Cheap turboflame lighter
£0.50 - Sellotape
£8.50 - Few beers
------
£30

Happy go lucky ending:

£10 - cheap multitool... halfords jobbie (it's only got to last the weekend)
£0.50 - Family sized cream of tomato soup (with multitool can will make billy can)
£2 - 100m of packing twine from the post office
£5 - cheap tarp (I would roll it up with all the stuff inside for travel
£5 - Cigars & matches
£7.50 - Few beers
------
£30

Ticked off ending:
£30 - cheep cider and a free night in the drunk tank (luxury accomodation)
------
£30

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Squidders said:
Flame thrower ending:

£10 - Garden watering hand pump thing with a nozzle
£5 - Unleaded petrol
£1 - Fairy Liquid (to mix with the petrol)
£5 - Cheap turboflame lighter
£0.50 - Sellotape
£8.50 - Few beers
------
£30
hmmm... bad boy :roll: better leave the beers untill after you've torched the guy :f:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE