Recent content by slowworm

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
  1. slowworm

    52 steps to learning skills.

    I'll refrain from mentioning Margo... But 32 is modern take: 32) Setting up a solar generator 33) Composting basics 34) Seasoning firewood 35) Milking goats (my OH has already done that course).
  2. slowworm

    52 steps to learning skills.

    If I could find someone to carry them I could post a few live greys... A more serious one: 30) Choosing and planting hardy herbs I've seen dried herbs mentioned a few times in relation to the storing 72 hours of food, to add flavour. I often wonder why more people with the room don't grow...
  3. slowworm

    52 steps to learning skills.

    Plant a tree Grow a tomato from seed Save your own tomato seed Take a softwood cutting Take a hardwood cutting Load/reload a rifle cartridge Obviously some would take longer than a week to fruition and are not possible for all
  4. slowworm

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    I don't think many could survive without mains water or electric for 3 days, I know our freezer would be scrap, I know others with a decent pantry would run out of drinking water. As for food plenty of people seem to need to nip to the shop every day and I remember a news story that said quite a...
  5. slowworm

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    I think the current advice is to try and keep people at home for up to 3 days to stop them causing more problems whilst the authorities get things under control. After the 3 days real preppers will dust off thier copies of the cannibal cookbook and all bets are off.
  6. slowworm

    Headlight recommendations please

    It depends on what you want it for. A low light is ideal if you wake at night, don't need to be seen etc. However, I picked up the HS20 after I helped someone who came off their motorbike just up our road. I found I needed a bright light that not only enabled me to pick up pieces of expensive...
  7. slowworm

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    I'm curious to know if that's the case. I've had a few discussions recently with people who've seen the latest government advice and are the types of people who don't have 3 days worth of basic supplies. After the news dies down I doubt they will change. Those that I know who would cope haven't...
  8. slowworm

    A question for gardeners in Devon

    I meant the big flowing sunflowers, grown for seed. You can sometimes see them grown in flower mixes so some should cope with being thrown in a field. You want a short variety in a windy field. Jerusalem artichokes should do well, do you like them though? They may do too well and be hard to...
  9. slowworm

    The most basic bread recipe.

    The simplest loaf would just require flour and water. You would need to make a starter by leaving some flour and water out to pick up wild yeast, that could take a few days. Flour, water and yeast would be the next simplest, and many would want salt.
  10. slowworm

    A question for gardeners in Devon

    The list is for Aus isn't it? You may not get such good results in the UK or you may end up with something doing well you don't like. I would like to do something similar though. I've grown some perennial kales and would like to try and grow a patch of cover crops that would provide something...
  11. slowworm

    A question for gardeners in Devon

    It's hard to comment without knowing more about his ideas, but... There's certainly plenty of ways to reduce required inputs. Even intensive agriculture these days does plenty of things that could be copied. A look through some of the commercial seed mixes shows plenty of very long rooted...
  12. slowworm

    A question for gardeners in Devon

    Of course, I just wanted a rough idea. You've probably got more in common with Dorset and the south coast. I couldn't get a quick overview of the Drs ideas. It sounds a bit like a form of permaculture and some of Martin Crawfords books would be worth a look at as he was based down your way...
  13. slowworm

    A question for gardeners in Devon

    I didn't realise you lived in Devon. My first though though is Devon is a very big place with all sorts of different growing conditions. Where I am in the north west we have quite poor acidic soil due to the rain and free draining nature of it. If you want specific recommendations you might he...
  14. slowworm

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    If it's any help, we've had some 'planned' power cuts this week and it seems to have finally killed our ancient freezer. I'm certainly glad we're not overly reliant on it and have a good range of packets, tins and pouches for the bulk of our stores. Always good to put the theory into practice.
  15. slowworm

    Limited Canned Goods.

    If you're talking custard then you must have salted peanuts to go in it.