Recent content by Pattree

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
  1. Pattree

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    I am working (very slowly) on a “shower” that runs from a washing up bowl to a perforated collar round my neck. It’s worked with one foot in the bowl and the other on dry land. I’m also looking at making some kind of coronet for including my hair. The big problem is a suitable pump that...
  2. Pattree

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    About twelve years ago my wife asked me “When did you last have a bath?” I’m reasonably self confident and happily told her that it must have been fifteen years previously so well over twenty years ago. Out went the bath. In came a walk in shower.
  3. Pattree

    The most basic bread recipe.

    Local bakers here buy in yeast in 1 kilo blocks. It’s a solid brick so I presume it’s cultured with flour but maybe it’s solid product. Balm just means yeast as far as I know. I have a balm pot that I used to keep on my window-cill. On warm days after feeding it could “go balmy” and froth...
  4. Pattree

    MakerMoot - Nov 13-15 2026 (Extended 12-15th)

    Indeed! Last year making clothes dry was on the agenda. :lmao: See you there John.
  5. Pattree

    52 steps to learning skills.

    @TeeDee Nope. I’m not in the least projecting my own approach; neither am I finding fault anywhere. I think this project has a lot of merit. I have already been taught many of these skills but by people that I consider experts. I have gained others over time either as necessities or...
  6. Pattree

    Wood burner in the garden

    I’ve just been writing an answer to @TeeDee ’s post and had a thought: What restrictions are there for open fires / stoves in urban areas? I guess it varies with district/authority. In Telford you risk the fire brigade turning up and putting out your fire. The bill of expenses follows...
  7. Pattree

    52 steps to learning skills.

    Hang on. I really don’t want to put a downer in this. I think the idea of bringing homestead skulls into suburbia is a great one but that may be a problem. I live in a village and don’t have access to much of what is needed here. Despite assertions to the contrary, Sainsbury’s do not sell...
  8. Pattree

    waterproofing solution

    I think so.
  9. Pattree

    52 steps to learning skills.

    I can see where you are coming from but I’m not sure how your uptake would go. What numbers might you be anticipating, limited to, ready for? Can we learners pick and mix or is it a curriculum? Have you tested the market/desire/need for what you might be offering? Where are skills courses...
  10. Pattree

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    We had five days without power when two pylons went over one winter in the 80’s. We had open fires and a Rayburn. We managed quite well. Also the land line was the independent 50 volt system that has recently been scrapped. We probably wash far more than we need to - or did when I was a child.
  11. Pattree

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    I don’t know any :) But then I live in a village.
  12. Pattree

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    That might be an explanation but surely: most of us “survive” for 168 hours (week) between shopping trips anyway and have enough left over for another 72 without giving any thought to preparedness as such. The two of us couldn’t eat everything in the freezer in 72 hours (presuming that we...
  13. Pattree

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    Surely it depends on what happens after the 72 hours. If everything goes back to normal or even if there is just enough to go round and it’s available, then a couple of packets of biscuits and maybe a couple of cans are enough to survive hunger for 72 hours. Being hungry isn’t starving...
  14. Pattree

    Limited Canned Goods.

    Isn’t it just!!! It makes my INR leap (blood thickness) but there is staying alive and there is living. Mangoes are part of living.
  15. Pattree

    A.I Created images and video

    The whole planet needs to adopt this approach. If a global reference to gnomes can knock AI off track just think what we could do with cheese. Cheese is the absolute panacea for the human condition.