Recent content by ijohnson

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
  1. ijohnson

    G10 or Micarta?

    I know it wasn't an option but I really like the FRN (fibre re-enforced nylon) scales on my Buck 112 slim select. It's supposed to be the 'cheaper' option when G10 is too upmarket but it has a nicer feel than G10 or micarta to me, but should be just as impervious to blood and grime. I don't...
  2. ijohnson

    G10 or Micarta?

    I guess micarta can be different depending on the maker, but I thought I would like micarta more than I do. I've bought two micarta handled knives ( Lion Steel and Brisa) and probably wouldn't buy another. YMMV. If practical I would always go for wood now, but for your use case I would opt for...
  3. ijohnson

    Nessmuk - George Washington Sears YouTube series.

    I posted this thread last year which has what you mention in them. No association other than I enjoyed watching them. https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/nessmuk-woodcraft-and-camping-video-series.169049/
  4. ijohnson

    Nessmuk - George Washington Sears YouTube series.

    Interesting you mention the axe choices we have now. I recently went searching for a Nessmuck type axe, i.e. a small-ish double bit, and guess what. Crickets! If anyone knows a UK source for such a beast please elucidate.
  5. ijohnson

    British folder?

    How about something like this? Another Sheffield maker is A Wright. I have one of those but wasn't overly impressed, but it was quite a bit cheaper than the linked knife. Don't have any experience of them, but look quite nice and traditional.
  6. ijohnson

    A small collecton of skulls

    I can't like the stoat post as I love stoats, but I do look forward to seeing the skull. Also, thanks for posting the method you use to clean and sanitise your skulls (I know it was a while ago but I must have missed it). I've always wondered how it was done.
  7. ijohnson

    The perfect "Two Knife" bushcraft set

    Casstrom #10 SFK and Brisa Necker 70 flat grind. Small flat grind Brisa for food prep and scandi grind Casstrom for woodcraft and heavier duty work. Also an axe and a saw! ;) Pics borrowed from Heinnie as I don't have pics of my own handy.
  8. ijohnson

    What did you buy today?

    If you like this and enjoy traditional wood engravings then I can heartily recomend 'War and the pity of war' illustrated by Michael McCurdy. Available pretty cheap on eBay.
  9. ijohnson

    The End of an Era : The day Long Wave died.

    Some might say worse!
  10. ijohnson

    Coping with the heat.

    We had the heaviest thunder storm I have ever experienced in SE Scotland. About 15-20 minutes while it passed over us and the sky was more light than dark. The number of flashes were extraordinary! Seems like we got off lightly though compared to this poor couple...
  11. ijohnson

    Forthcoming pebble launching device ban?

    How will they know which is which if they don't age check everyone?
  12. ijohnson

    Eggs,

    We get our eggs from about 150 yards away now, but when I did by eggs in the supermarket I did always check them top and bottom after being burned before.
  13. ijohnson

    First things first

    I want to say get a brew on, and that would be my first instinct, but sometimes it's sensible to pitch the tent/tarp/hammock first.
  14. ijohnson

    Walking sticks and staffs

    Bark on or de-barked?
  15. ijohnson

    Woodland Custodianship

    Spotted a story yesterday on the BBC about a woodland that became a red squirrel sanctuary by accident, but the couple who owned it became really passionate about it. Now they are dead the son is trying to sell it for half a million! So perhaps some succession planning is a good idea!