Recent content by Billy-o

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
  1. Billy-o

    The most basic bread recipe.

    Beer bread has got to be worth a go. :) Maybe with a stout
  2. Billy-o

    BcUK Photograph of 2026 September Heat

    Lovely looking brute
  3. Billy-o

    Anyone a fan of tinned fish?

    Here's that sick squid I owe you
  4. Billy-o

    Your picture of the day...

    Bad news. Today, I found the wasp nest above had been destroyed. It looks so desolate, like what you see in Palestine, just for wasps only. I couldn't bring myself to take a picture. It felt horribly sad. Some ignorant clown just showed up and hit it with a stick. I have to say they can be...
  5. Billy-o

    Less conventional Fruit.

    Bob Flowerdew built a triple layer polytunnel once. Had a fruiting pineapple and tropical fish in open ponds there. :) If you are in Wales, there's Wimberries
  6. Billy-o

    The most basic bread recipe.

    There's that thing about beer being liquid bread.
  7. Billy-o

    waterproofing solution

    There are lots of ways forward. A 2:1 solution of silicone bathroom sealant and paint thinners will work. For the inside. You can use more thinners to get a lighter coat and that may mitigate breathability issues of going too heavy I have had no joy with Greenland wax except for adding wind...
  8. Billy-o

    The most basic bread recipe.

    Anyone tried asking their local brewer for some 'barm' I don't know if it is still used in barm cakes, but it is the stll active yeast sludge that remains after a brew.
  9. Billy-o

    The most basic bread recipe.

    There's also a bunch of red lentil and chickpea recipes both for flatbread and leavened with bicarb. Some of them are hilariously simple. Like, a cup of lentils into two cups of water. Soak for four hours or overnight. Into the blender and you are done. Just fry the batter. I really like these...
  10. Billy-o

    The most basic bread recipe.

    Salt, bicarb, flour and water. Into a medium hot, buttered 8" cast-iron frying pan. Flip it once. Rises lovely. Five minutes to mix. Five minutes to cook. Five minutes to clean up. It is a weekly thing here, so it's down to a fine art. I almost never stop at that, though. Maybe a handful of...
  11. Billy-o

    Your picture of the day...

    Cicada exuviae on the lee of an Ash
  12. Billy-o

    Your picture of the day...

    Not a great picture, but it's a very pretty wasp nest in a Blue Spruce. In fact, a Bald-Faced Hornet's nest. I like the way the blue of the leaves and russet of the bark has translated.
  13. Billy-o

    New Morakniv Morkret

    Reminds of the Peltonen M95 somehow. I don't think there are stainless versions of the Peltonen or the Jaakaripuukko 140. Maybe that's the niche
  14. Billy-o

    Hops

    Oddly, I did the same just the other day. Found a load growing in a back lane. Not far from a patch of horseradish I sometimes visit. Drying them out now
  15. Billy-o

    Autumn in the air

    Yes, we usually find ourselves making jelly about now