Recent content by bearbait

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
  1. B

    Your picture of the day...

    Perhaps not a particularly interesting picture but this is the source of the River Wye on Pumlumon Fawr / Plynlimon in the Cambrian Mountains. The source is about 1.2KM eastish of the peak Pen Pumlumon Fawr. Not so much poo in it at this stage. And this is where it's heading...
  2. B

    A.I Created images and video

    Agreed. It is wild mushroom season now; I've seen quite a few of them around (mushrooms, not cheeses) so I'm just guessing...
  3. B

    National Risk Register/National Resilience Update - Nothing new to us.

    It's worth considering keeping some appropriate "stuff" in the car / van in case the air movement device is hit by the untreated effluent while one is out and about, perhaps commuting. I always have a small rucksack in the car that'd keep me going for 24hrs or so to get me home or to safety in...
  4. B

    Mantracking

    Very slight diversion of the thread here... A friend does Mantrailing with her dog. I've seen a couple of short videos of them working and it's quite impressive, including one of them being in the rain around a supermarket car park. Mantrailing is obviously used for SaR, etc., but now done...
  5. B

    What are you currently reading?

    Careless People by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Very interesting book about her years working in a senior role at Facebook. Zuckerberg / Facebook / Meta tried to silence Sarah by means of "lawfare": a legal writ forbidding her to publicise her own book at penalty of massive fine. Nonetheless she...
  6. B

    What did you buy today?

    Four of these Roughneck clamps, for fixing a tarp to the roofrails on my car when camping. (The roofrails fit directly to the roof with no gap underneath so I can't tie a tarp to them.) Alternatively, to extend the span for the tarp and for some flexibility, I can use the clamps to clamp a pole...
  7. B

    Old OS Maps? To keep or not to keep?

    The National Library of Wales (https://www.library.wales/discover-learn/digital-exhibitions/maps) and the National Library of Scotland (https://maps.nls.uk/) have old maps of various sorts available for searching and viewing.
  8. B

    Stoopid jokes

    Vacuum cleaners? My vacuum cleaner sucks...
  9. B

    Rule of Three

    I believe that groups of 6 whistle blasts with a minute's pause between each is also a distress call, in the UK at least. The reply is groups of 3 whistle blasts with the minute's pause between each. Repeat as necessary. A similar 6 / 3 procedure is followed with a torch. In addition, the...
  10. B

    BcUK Photograph of 2026 July Heat

    Bridge Over Untroubled Water
  11. B

    BcUK Photograph of 2026 June Heat Winner

    Nice one! Well done!
  12. B

    What wildlife did you spot today?

    ... and a Partridge in a Pear Tree?
  13. B

    BcUK Photograph of 2026 June Heat

    And Wye Not?
  14. B

    Swedish preparedness pamphlet

    Yea, the 47KG ones. I checked back and it looks like it's coming up to three years since I replaced one of the bottles. The oven is electric but the 4-burner hob is gas. It's used for cooking and also for boiling water for teas and coffees, and re-seasoning my cast iron cookware too.