Which Pack ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
:-? OK, I need a new pack, I know these have all been mentioned before but would like to clarify them in one thread. I have to choose between 3 as my last pack has lasted me over 10 years and is a little big old and bulky (not to mention all the quick releases have cracked).
The three I have chosen are: Karrimor Sabre (30 or 45L)
Berghause Munro
Snugpak Rocketpack
I know some of you have owned at least 2 of these if not all. It needs to be good for Bushcraft Trips & Travel Abroad and preferably compatible with PLCE side pouches.
Now, which would you recommend and why?
:wink:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I own the Munro, Its a great rucksack and has been well used. It is only 35l which i have decided is 5L too small fo my liking. You can fit the PLCE side pockets via the side compression straps. Though they slop about far too much for my liking. Its a very basic pack, simple, uncomplicated and reliable. One top pocket. Side fixings/compression straps, 2 Ice axe loops (Fit my Hatchet) and a couple of buckles on the lid.
I like the look of the Rocket Pack. It is the 5L bigger, and has the proper zips for the side pockets + a rain cover (or 2!). That is the one I intend to buy. I have heard complaints about it having a short back but this has never been a problem for me with the Munro. To me it looks identical to my much loved Munro but with the advantages i'd like.
I don't know about the Sabre. Karrimor make good sacks.(I've had a Jaguar for years) The side pockets don't seem to be entirely compatible with the compression straps ? I know little else about it. So over to the other owners.
Cheers
Rich

Y

yowee

Out of the three I would go for the Karrimoor Sabre 45 as it is fully compatible with the PLCE side pockets to give you 3 sacks in one, the standard pack is 45L and the plce pockets and you've got 65L with with the right kit will see you right for a week out inc food, and with a yoke the 2 PLCE pockets can be put together to form a daysac at 20L also the quality is very good, also in place of one of the PLCE pockets you can zip in a 3L Hydration system again made by Karrimoor high military spec, including anti bacterial filters and linnings and fully covered tubes so sunlight cannot enter keeping your water safe, the prices from most shops seem high at about £80 to £90 just for the main sac but I do know were you can get them for £59.00 ish, they are also recomended by "Woodsmoke" and they really know there stuff, so a great endoursment.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I'd go for the Munro. Its simple, has an uncomplicated back system, you can remove the frame in the back and the bit of foam and roll it up small.

You can fit PLCE side pockets to it via the compression straps on the side as PLCE side pockets have loops on the back. if fact you could mount three by putting one on the crampon patch on the front of the sac that would give you 65 lts!! side pockets are approx 10 ltrs and the sac @ 35ltrs.

It's a rucksac very much in the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' school of design.
The design of it has altered very little over the years. It's by far the toughest day sac I have ever had and stood up to being sac hauled up a cliff face down at Bosigran better than my old Karrimor Alpiniste 45 ever did.

I looked at the Sabre recently and it looked fine but a bit flash for my tastes. I have never found tougher rucksacs than the Berghaus Munro and Crusader. They have the bare minimum of features and are simple almost to a fault. But that means their is little to go wrong and their construction is superb.

Cheers

John

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sabre gets my vote - other two are both too small on the back being designed to sit on top of webbing - sabre has a good back length and a comfy shoulder system.

As a further plus it has good pockets inside and upon the lid.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Here Here. You've done well to narrow it down to three, best have a look at them. You are welcome to try my Munro on a short term loan.
Cheers
Rich

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
WOW :-D
Thanks guy's, this place gets better and better!
I may take you up on the offer when I get back from the Gambia next week.
How is the waterproofing on these packs?

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Whats the deal with the hydration system on the Sabre, does it not have an internal pocket?
Also does it have a pocket in the hood?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I'd say no matter how much you pay for a rucksac and no matter who makes it you will need a fully waterproof liner for it. All rucksacs leak to some degree or another. So a rucksac liner is pretty much an essential item unless you're going to spend a lot of time in the desert??!!

cheers

John

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Hi

Like johnboy I own a Munro which I use mainly for day excursions, I find 35L more than enough for a day's activities. I would also concur with johnboy in that the sack is bomb-proof and the simplicity of design can't be faulted. Berghaus do sell there own side pockets, which are very good and take the pack up to 55L.

I have heard that some people find the back length on the Rocket a bit short, given that the pack is designed to sit above belt order.

As for the Sabre 45L, I like the look of that myself, but more with a mind to winter or a full weekend's worth of activities. The option of taking it up to 65L is very good.

If I was forced to make choice for a day sack out of the 3, then the Munro gets my vote.

Stepping Out are currently selling the Munro for £50
http://www.stepping-out.co.uk/index.html

I also saw in one of the new Karrimor shops (what use'd to be the YHA shops) that they had reduced the Sabre 45L in their sale to £63.

Cheers
ranger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE