waxed paper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jamie

Hi All

I came across some wax paper firelighting kit at the weekend and was wondering if anyone knew where it can be got? Its basically several sheets of wax paper sandwiched together into a stiff board and was very efficient.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Is it yellow and when you break it open fluffy inside?

If so its origins is scandinavian - stuff used to light bbq's I believe - not bad stuff either although not as good as wet fire tinder in my opinion, being heavier and needing a decent strip of 4 - 6 inches to light anything.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Gary said:
Is it yellow and when you break it open fluffy inside?

If so its origins is scandinavian - stuff used to light bbq's I believe - not bad stuff either although not as good as wet fire tinder in my opinion, being heavier and needing a decent strip of 4 - 6 inches to light anything.

You only need a little piece of it and i you break it toy can light it with your firesteel. Combined with some maya sticks you can light a fire in any weather very easy.

J

Jamie

it is a shade of yellow (a lighter shade than primrose for example)....you tear off a piece and then tear apart the sandwich. was good stuff, but agree on the wetfire Gary, just thought interesting as an alternative

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I played with some a while ago when they were considering replacing the tampons in militry survival kits with it

I think the decision was to go ahead with it (or at least that was my recomendation) I dont know if it has gone into effect though

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
This is the paper I use (the one at the left)

241951_340087_Xw2.jpg

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I bought two packs from Woodlore many moons ago (talking years here!) found it pretty good stuff.
Just tear a strip off and fluff it up as its pretty compressed - excellent for a survival tin.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep thats the stuff I used to use too - theres an american version on the market too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE