This may be a stupid question for a first post.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beaver1970

I have been looking at various Tarps and found they vary in size. As I would expect. I am looking for a tarp that is suitable for one person to sleep under and or for two/three people to sit under for Shelter.

Here is my question.

What size tarp would you recommend?

Whilst on the subject of Tarps!
What type of tarp would you recommend to be out up and left outdoors for sheltering larger groups of people during breaks and for lessons in the rain.

I hope I haven't started with a question that isn't too stupid. :lmao:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
A 3x3 (metres) is a good size for a single person, which would give enough room for several people to sit under, a larger tarp which according to your question would be put up and stay up, for lessons etc, a lot of people would use a parachute for this purpose, as it can be easily closed and secured against high winds etc, when not being used, but this would depend on what room you have, as it would form quite a large canopy.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
DD XL (4.5 x 3 M ) for me...
You can't go wrong for the price ...

I can lay the tarp in a variety in set ups , like a diamond shape , a frame , lean-to or Adirondack shelter and it's plenty of room for me the dog and my kit.

Versatile bit of kit with all those tie loops ...

And it does accommodate 4 or 5 peeps sat around quite comfortably...

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I use a 3x3 DD tarp, great value for money. Packs small and is fairly light weight. Plenty of space for my partner and I to sleep under. There's a group buy running for them at the moment on the forum so you can get a 20% discount. I wouldn't say there the best if they were to be left up semi permanently though for that I'd use a canvas or polycotton tarp such as a Tatonka.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have a DD 3M by 3M and also the 4M by 4m. The 3x3 has done me proud for a few years but last year I got the 4x4. The extra usable space under the 4x4 is just vast it seems. It can be a bit of a bother finding that extra metre to hang it but it is well worth it. The 3x3 will cover a hammock without being too tight and if you take the hammock down during the day, give you sitting room for two easy. Go for the 4x4 and everything gets so much more room. At the time of writing there is a DD group buy on !!!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If your tarp is too big you could find you are less inclined to carry it just for sitting under. I have a Truenorth 4x3 polyurethane/nylon tarp which is a great group lunch shelter for up to eight but is too bulky and heavy to back pack for just three. For what you describe I would use a 3x2m tarp, but the 3x3 would give you better coverage for setting up close to the ground for wind and driving rain protection. If you get lighter materials you can feel more at ease carrying a bigger tarp. I think the perfect size for you would probably be 11'x10' (3.3x3m) in sil-nylon, but that will be more expensive and you may not feel that it is justified.

If you are going to leave a tarp out long term, blue builders tarps are hard to beat. UV, rain the environment will tend to break down anything left out for a long time. Nylon isn't good left out permanently. If you are just setting up for a week at a time a few times a year nylon should be fine though. The parachutes are popular, but can be a job to put up, and need high supports and lots of tie outs.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I use a 3x 3 but have used fox basha' and poncho's much smaller with no problems sleeping outside for 2 people.
Travelling light get smaller
just want to buy one only for a mixture of tasks get a 3x3

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I like the 3m x 3m tarp for hammocking and bivvying and am currently using the DD 3x3 . The square shape and multiple tie out points means that you can set up the tarp in a myriad of different configurations.

As has been said, get invovled in the DD group buy where you can get 20% off listed price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE