Soldering/Brazing Stainless Steel rods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Hi there,
I want to repair a stand that uses 3mm SS rods and maybe try making a grill. Can anyone help with how I join the rods together?

Thanks

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Personally, I wouldn't be looking to fix them permanently,
I'd either slot them into a short section of 3mm diameter pipe or cut a thread on them and use nuts. It would preserve the element of field repairability and also allow for dismantling for transportation.
Though there are probably as many arguements to braze/solder/weld for strength etc.

Just my 2 pence

Ogri the trog

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Thanks for the reply. But for the repar I need to weld a SS ring back onto a SS rod. Can this be done with a soldering iron or do I need something else.

Regards

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I think you'll stuggle soldering SS
IIRC SS doesn't join well and you need special kit - which is one reason why most stuff is made from mild steel

I have an arc welder but I think this wont do SS

Sorry

Mark

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You almost certainly won't be able to do it with a soldering iron. Even if solder does adhere to SS (which I doubt, but I'm not sure) no iron will be able to produce enough heat, unless the parts are very small. You can't even solder microbore copper pipe with an iron - you need a blowtorch.

There's some stuff about welding stainless here (on a homebrewing site for some wierd reason). Looks like brazing may be an option...

Or, if you don't need it to withstand high heat and veyry rough handling, you might be able to get away with using a epoxy putty...

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yep tis a bit of a pig to do so I've been told brazing an option dunno if I read you can get stainless wire for a mig welder?
Like the thought of field maintainable my self.
Dave

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've not played with Stainless, but I believe silver soldering will work. Try asking round local engineering works. I've got a small Oxy-propane setup if I can help.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
a arc welder would be no good
a mig set would work but the stainless wire will cost a bit and
you maybe only use 6" of it
finding some one with a tig set would be your best bet

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
You can braze if you are careful and not allow oxidation. (oxy-acetylene) This happens quickly so experimentation is important. You can get a good joint with brass.

I have arc welded small items using s/s rods. They are used for hard facing farm implements so not as scarce as hens teeth. The smallest size is 2.5 mm so you are on the limit with 3mm material. Again practice is useful!

If I need fiddly stuff welding I go to a local engineering shop and ask them to do the job for me on their TIG welder. You will be pleasantly surprised at the quality and the cost. You can then build a long term relationship with them as they are doing this kind of stuff for a living and consequently do it well and efficiently.

I hope this helps.

Swyn.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yup, if you have to weld it, then TiG is the way to go.
Take along some of your off-cuts as filler for the job and it should only take seconds to do.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE