Snugpak Softie Micro with full baffle (with pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
Hi there
Just got delivery of a Snugpak Softie Micro Chrysalis. The reason(s) I ordered this particular one are:
  • I needed a small, lightweight sleeping bag for summer use
  • I am a "big" (=fat :-( ) bloke and I need a wide sleeping bag
  • Snugpak have a good reputation.

It has a RRP of £70 (allegedly) - you can find it easily for £50, and the cheapest I found was at Weekend Leisure (http://www.leisurebuy.co.uk/camping-and-outdoor.html) at £42.

(I also bought silk liners for £9.99 + £99p postage from http://sports.shop.ebay.co.uk/Sleep...g=&_ssn=necaldi&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282 - check out the hammocks there, really good value)

Out of the box it feels very light and quite thin - but soon it lofts up. I know that synthetic fillings do not really loft up, but it certainly felt "fluffier" after 5 mins - if you see what I mean.
552d75.jpg

The material looks like a ripstop nylon (Snugpak call it "paratex") - but it does not feel "sticky" on your skin. Some people might hate this - I guess it might be a love it or hate it affair.
The length of the bag is 210 cm - is so OK for people up to 6 foot 4 I guess.
The standard width at the chest is 80 cm - which is ok but snug for me.
According to my kitchen scales, it weights about 980g in its compression sack.
There is a draw-cord around the head/face area, to help you get really nice and snug if you want.
jpk1ag.jpg

However, the trick with the softies is that they have a baffle behind the zip (full length or half length). At the top the baffle is about 9 inches/24 cm wide:
35ho7ti.jpg

This can be used to extend the whole width of the sleeping bag so you end up with this beast:
2yxqdjs.jpg

which now measures 105 cm at the chest
u4f36.jpg

the foot box is sculptured for comfort
2m5gt51.jpg

There are 2 hooks at the foot end of the bag, probably to allow you to hung it up to air/dry??
1zv7ojs.jpg

There are also 2 D-rings at the middle of the bag - I cannot figure out what they are for:
10r4p3o.jpg

It really packs quite small without any trouble - this is my first attempt to pack it back in its compression sack:
5v27ae.jpg

as you can see it really packs small - about 30cm x 15 cm.
2rrs9oo.jpg

This, of course, is nowhere near the 16cmx16cm claimed at the Snugpak web site - perhaps with practice you can get it smaller.
The claimed temperature ratings are 7C comfort - 2C low, perhaps with a silk liner you can improve that by a couple of C.

I might update this review after I have used it for a couple of nights.

Thanks,
seg

Last edited:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The 2 d rings are where you connect the clips so that the bag is smaller for short people.It saves a large dead air space.
Nice review.

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
I have the snugpak crysalis (its the same colour). These are great sleeping bags, gram for gram. Look forward to hearing how the micro bag fairs - should be just right in current temperatures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE