Silva model 58 compass - any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Greetings to you all at Bushcraft, being a new member.

I am thinking of buying a Silva model 58 compass (boat/car use).

Has anyone used one and had good/bad dealings with it?. Or are there any other suggestions of other makes for dual use in the car and boat.

I know it seems odd to ask on a site for the outdoors about an item for car and boat use but I need to get to the bush first.

Thanks

Freelander

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Silva's are amazing compasses. We use a pocket model when we go climbing.

The Model 58 definately looks good, it's luminous, well balanced, and has a declination protector against magnetic fields.

I'd say go for it!

Cheers,

A.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the silva 58 is a good bit of kit (as are all silva compasses) but i wouldn’t bother putting any compass, no matter how good into a vehicle.

there is too big a magnetic field inside a vehicle and even after you have spent hours calibrating your compass to the magnetic field in the car it will not be accurate as the field in the car is always changing, so my advice is don’t bother, use a normal orienteering compass, get out of the car, walk around directly behind or in front of the vehicle and at least a few meters away, take a reading and get back in.

a boat however is not a problem as its normally made from fiberglass or wood etc and the engine is usually a fair way behind you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE