Plantains for wounds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For many thousands of years plantains (Plantago sp) has been used to make poultices for wounds. Now there is finally a decent medical study that confirms the positive effect of Plantago major extracts on wound healing. The tests were done on both tissue cultures and ears from freshly killed pigs, apparently no tests on actual live humans. The medically usefull compounds were found to be various polyphenols, and of interest to the bushcrafter is that these are temperature sensitive: the drying temeperature of the leaves must not exceed 30 C. Link to the PhD thesis (Also posted to http://www.hunter-gatherer.org/2012/04/plantain-for-wound-treatment/)

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Mix it with yarrow for even Bette r results ? As taught by a top bloke called Mr Kirk , to me at the weekend :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Obviously make sure you clean the plant before you use it as a plaster, also maybe the lesser plantain could also be used, Ribwort plantain I think it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE