My Crusader cook kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Like many I have played around with various cook kits. There was a time I did not like at all the Crusader system even though I had never used one! I was a fan of round pots I guess and went through an ultralight Titanium period!

After seeing the love for Crusader sets on here and youtube I bit the bullet and bought one. I already had the Osprey bottle so I bought things piecemeal over time to complete the set.

6db21ea6c45ad55a7cac4f43d647f035_zps3470e705.jpg

125e02024bbac47eedc4712557f49429_zps3674b2a8.jpg

717101bf73be78aecbeca2ddbcd738e7_zps623589d4.jpg

a74f6357bbfa7d27a2f2e30104583f63_zps9539cacd.jpg

After using it for some time I can genuinely say that I love using it. Drinking from the cups is a pleasure for some reason and is quite comfy on the mouth! I'm using an old pellet tin with carbon felt for the stove, a hole in the lid makes a simmer ring.

The meths is contained in a flat 250ml bottle which fits a sewn on pocket on the side. I also keep a piece of disposable BBQ grill in this kit for grilling meats on open fires.

A small bottle of washing up liquid in a dropper bottle makes clean up easier but I also normally have some baby wipes too.

I used this kit today and had a nice hot cup of coffee in one cup and rice and stewing steak in the other while in the woods!

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
Nicely made up kit, you are at a much more advanced Crusader level that I am by an order of magnitude.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Sound.i like how you keep a little grill for cooking on the open fire too were yer get the meths bottle from I'm in need of something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
It was an eBay item, I cannot seem to find the item in my purchase history? However they are not liquid tight from new with the tops provided??? I have used a cork from a wine bottle glued into another bottle top. Hasn't leaked yet and for longer term storage a bit of tape seals it.

I have a couple spare if your desperate for flat bottles? Another option is contact lens fluid bottles. These come in 250ml size and are flat?

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Thanks for the really kind offer mate.i think I'll grab a couple of the ones adz recommend though.for a couple of quid it's not worth yer messing about.again though offers appreciated.i too share the love for the crusader.for the price ,quality,weight n versatility iI just can't understand why people will spend their hard earned cash on s titanium mug.had a few noodles in mine with the sprog last weekend.
98d1ab3efc560f5f62cc8ff9650fffdc.jpg

53db3097f30416b6852b18f5861092ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have used a Crusader cup for something like 12 years (not sure exactly, I got it when at uni). I've recently retired it as it's just too heavy for me. I've had to work on lightening my load as much as possible, even if that means a substantial amount of lightening of my wallet too.

It's a nice unit and I have many happy memories of mine. But for now, I have a small titanium set that does everything the crusader set did, but for less weight than the crusader cooker unit on it's own.

J

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Quality titanium mugs and pots will last a lifetime, so are a sound investment.

The Crusader kit is a bit heavy and is not far off the same price.

The mug itself is not a good shape for efficient or effective cooking and much of its popularity is due to Ray Mears making it 'fashionable'

The hard anodised aluminium Crusader set is quite good, if you don't mind using that fuel type and don't actually want to cook real food - great for boil in the bag, noodles, etc.

I have four sets in total, one at work (aluminium cos I have to carry it) and three in my canoe/camp kit (the heavier ones).

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I love my stainless steel Crusader mug. Although I strive to save weight by going without certain stuff or opting for lightweight, I still keep carrying it. The reasons? It's a great shape, durable, easy to clean and holds just the right amount of whatever's on the go. I've not come across a lighter weight alternative that offers those qualities but then maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Are there any really good alternatives to the mug?

As for the cooker, it's simple and functional and gets an occasional outing but there are so many equally good stoves out there, it has to fight hard to win its place when I'm out and about.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I'd say the alternative mugs are the Snowpeak 700, Vargo Ti-Lite and the Alpkit Mytimug.

They all nest with the Nalgene 1-litre bottle. The Snowpeak 300 mug nests with the Nalgene 500ml bottles. So comparable as a 'canteen cookset'

In terms of cooking, a one-person pot really needs to be around 1.2 litre or bigger; and ought to be shaped for cooking.

Mugs are great for day trips and occasional overnighters, but I do regular trips for weeks/months on end and a large cookpot is invaluable.

I do like the Crusader mug though :)

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I love my stainless steel Crusader mug. Although I strive to save weight by going without certain stuff or opting for lightweight, I still keep carrying it. The reasons? It's a great shape, durable, easy to clean and holds just the right amount of whatever's on the go. I've not come across a lighter weight alternative that offers those qualities but then maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Are there any really good alternatives to the mug?

As for the cooker, it's simple and functional and gets an occasional outing but there are so many equally good stoves out there, it has to fight hard to win its place when I'm out and about.

Well that would solely depend on what criteria you would use to class an alternative?

There are and endless amount of alternatives.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well that would solely depend on what criteria you would use to class an alternative?

There are and endless amount of alternatives.

Well, I suppose I looking for something of a similar shape but made of a lighter material - ideally not aluminium - with a few more accurate volume measurements on the side. A Crusader in titanium: that's the ideal for me, I reckon.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Well, I suppose I looking for something of a similar shape but made of a lighter material - ideally not aluminium - with a few more accurate volume measurements on the side. A Crusader in titanium: that's the ideal for me, I reckon.

My choice for a lighter alternative is the Evernew Appalachian set. It's very much not cheap. But it gives me a 500ml cup, a meths burner, a wood burner and a hexi burner, all for 164g. I have added to it with the evernew 400ml mug, and a Firemaple 500ml HAA pot, to give me a cook set for most of my needs. If I'm just boiling water, I can leave the HAA pot behind. But if I am cooking a proper meal - i.e. a LWWF pouch, then the HAA pot is better.

It's not the most perfect setup possible, tho you might have expected it to be for the money, it doesn't nest with a water bottle, a Nalgene will fit, but then you can't nest the stove bits inside it... It's also rather thirsty, and you do need a wind shield, I use my backpack... or a interwar period sounding dish.

But I love it and it's shiny and light and wonderful and I love it...

Julia

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The Crusader mug, Its one of those items that are indispensable for me so not bothered about the weight, its worth it.

To the point I have few pans left. Always going for the mug only on every trip.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
BcB Crusader system for me too! Wouldn't swap for any other on the market at this time. Does everything that I need and more! Its bomb proof too which is important for the adventures that I undertake.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE