little wander around the tree 'catalogue'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
id forgotten about this place till i remembered it the other day so i took my daughter up there for a little picnic and and wander around, this si the location for anyone who wants a birds eye view 51.402224,-1.683575

its a large collection of different types of trees in groups of 2-4 with name plates. unfortunately about a third of the plates have fallen off but i believe these were planted a fair while ago as some of the trees are massive including the redwoods!

anyway, there is a point to this thread, while i was up there i found this:

it sortof looks like a pine species but i could see no roots and it appeared to be alive, i would describe it as a kind of pine tumble weed? anyone got any ideas

few other pictures i took while we were out

found these buds that were cool

and a brich tree growing out of an old oak tree

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think you've a case of "faciation" of some species of pine there. It's where the growing tip is damaged and the growth becomes distorted around that point. The actual piece that was attached to the tree I can't see in the photos but it may be hidden in the clump. The weight of the clump may have caused it to tear at that weak point in the recent winds. As to the species can't really tell sorry, my idents not what it was. Good pics though and sounds a good place. Looks like you and the little 'un had a nice day out.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
i shall go back and get more pictures and have a close look at it. it looked like it had been sat there for a while as the grass underneath was yellow but the 'ball' had fresh growth

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Have those wretched barbed wire fences been taken down in Savernake? They were put up as an experiment in forest farming cattle and were a real nuisance.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
some of the open spaces have fences for sheep etc but i havent seen any in the actual woodlands for a while

thanks goatboy, i did look for a broken end etc but couldnt find one, im very tempted to go and get it and open it up to see if its hidden inside but i dont want to harm it if its some uber rare pine tumbleweed type thing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE