Insect I.D Help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Evening, Earlier a cricket or grasshopper with an orangy? Body/Legs landed on my mum while she was getting the washing in off the line and she told me that she'd never seen one of them before, So I've Googled it and cam up with nothing that match's, any tip's or Pic's Welcomed.
Cheer's

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Soldier Beetle ?
They do fly.

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/common-red-soldier-beetle

med-Rhagonycha%20fulva1_Coss_8Jul10.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I get similar looking beetles on my lillys. So it might be a lilly beetle. I'm not good at insects so I could be wrong. (Probably will be) :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I get similar looking beetles on my lillys. So it might be a lilly beetle. I'm not good at insects so I could be wrong. (Probably will be) :)

I had those on my lilies too for a couple of years. They were awfully red looking though, not really 'orange' though.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ha ha. I knew I'd be wrong and someone would put me right ! :) :). Does look a bit like a lilly beetle tho.
I've never studied them closely. Maybe next time I get one I should. I'm a butterfly and bee person. Not that I know too much about them either, but I do enjoy watching them so much even if I can't identify them

Reactions: Toddy

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've just showed those pic's / site's to the boss soz my mum and she say's nope none of them,it had orange legs. And she's lived in this neck of the woods 67yrs and it's a new one to her. Maybe a cross breed or an invader?.
cheer's tho

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The most orange coloured British grasshopper is probably the Common Field (Chorthippus brunneus) but the Woodland grasshopper (Omocestus rufipes) is also quite reddish on the legs (sometimes - they all vary in colour a lot). One photograph I have of the Common Green grasshopper (Omocestus viridulus - the clues are in the names really) shows a green female and a yellow/grey male!

To tell grasshoppers apart in the field you have to look carefully at a number of things like thorax markings etc. On the meadow bugs course I was on two weeks ago the expert had to look very carefully with a magnifying glass to make a distinct identification!

No idea then, the soldier is the only common orange one I know.

There are 4,000 species of soldier beetle Toddy :) - most of them red, orange and black colouring. The one commonly seen on Umbellifers is bright orange.

Reactions: Toddy

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Hmm...as with the 'unusual fox' thread, when people see something they don't immediately recognise it is common for the mind to play tricks and the animal gets stranger and stranger as time passes and no matter what people suggest the witness digs in and claims that what they've seen is nothing like anything else.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ha ha. I knew I'd be wrong and someone would put me right ! :) :). Does look a bit like a lilly beetle tho.
I've never studied them closely. Maybe next time I get one I should. I'm a butterfly and bee person. Not that I know too much about them either, but I do enjoy watching them so much even if I can't identify them

It was the right sort of colour range, and it definitely noticeable :)

I live next to a nature walk, really the grown up hedges running alongside an old mineral railway line, that runs parallel to a burn that rises as a fresh water spring about 400m away. We get a tremendous number of beetles, but as Broch says, there are thousands of them, and the differences can be miniscule. Teaching the children I just described them using common names, 'the devil's coachman....that's the aggressive black one that attacks earthworms, I think it's called the devil's coach horse too, 'horny gollochs' aka earwigs, 'slaters' or woodlice, soldiers in their bright jackets, stag beetles (ours probably aren't really, I think they're just huge ground beetles, but the kids call them stags) shield bugs, etc.,
Lot of bees too, and masses of moths. I like hearing the common names across the country for the insects :D

Sorry Forest fella, we've rather gone O.T. :oops:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE