How to clean a Trangia Mets burner??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi Guys,

I was going through some gear for small trip planed later this month and when I took the trangia burner from its bag it seemed to have corrodied and what looks like a white fungus of some kind around the holes.

It's been a while since I have used it and all do I no they are not expensive to replace I wondered if anyone out there can give me any tricks and tips on how to clean it and keep it clean.

James

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
***** the holes with a bit old wire or the pin off an old badge. Then scrub the deposits off with an old toothbrush dipped in meths, that should sort it for you :)

*edit To keep it clean burn off all the meths in the well before storage and give it a light wipe with a bit of rag moistened with WD40

S

slyfox

give it a rub over with rag covered in cooking oil !
at least it's edible.....

or stick em in the dish washer !!!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
jamesdevine said:
Thanks for that,

The dishwashers sounds like and interesting idea. Would it not be a little to harsh.

James

I think between the walls of the burner there is some wicking material that may get damaged if put in the dishwasher...That said, I've never tried it :shock:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
maddave said:
I think between the walls of the burner there is some wicking material that may get damaged if put in the dishwasher...That said, I've never tried it :shock:

Are you sure? I thought that the walls were empty so that when the centre portion gets hot enough, it causes any meths in the wall to vapourise. The vapour then comes out of the holes and burns hotter than the liquid meths.

Of course, the wick might help the process.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
There is wicking material in there between the walls of the burner ... I wouldn't like to chance it in the dishwasher! :shock: ... don't have one anyway!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
A tip or two - especially for you guys who have bought Swedish army kits off me at Bearclaw's trading post.

1. Mix your meth's with water - 9/1 meths - this will cut down the sooting from the burner. (so you can wash it briefly under a tap!)
2. When filling the stove the fuel level will drop in the reserver allow this to happen then top it up and this will allow longer burn time.
3. Use a sewing needle to pick the holes around the stoves rim once in a while as these can become blocked with soot.
4. Allow fuel vapours to evapourate by leaving the lid off between uses - this will also help prevent the rubber seal perishing.

They are fantastic kits and I Hope that helps.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
That 9/1 meths/water mix really works too. it cuts down the richness of the fuel. Meths mixes well with water so there's no ill effects (unlike if you tried the same thing with petrol). In fat, if you mix 50 ml of meths and 50 ml of water you don't end up with a 100 ml of mix but just over 97.5 ml of mix. That is because the water molecules pack in so well with the meths molecules. A neat trick!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
UN1170 methylated spirit is >90% ethanol, >3% methanol with traces of wood naptha and pyridine.

The color comes from 1.5 ppm methyl violet.

Mar 2, 2004
such foolishness...you see the trick is to keep your trangias black! a quick rub with a cloth then back into the orange bag. the black underside transmits heat quicker and so it is folly to polish yourt stoves to a high shine!!!
trust me im drunk and i ,ve got a knife!

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Hello all,

I have had my T27 for over 15 years. Original burner unit, only thing renewed has been 1 o-ring in the screw on cap.

How look after your kit, when you finish with it, empty it after each use, whilst it it still warm(not hot) rub over the berner jets, with the end of an old tooth brush. Then wait till it has fully cooled before replacing the lid.

Then on your return home, do as the man said, throw it in the sink, for a quick dip( just give it a shake round in the soapy water, then with a dry brillo, or wire wool and hand soap scrub the threads and the rim, in and out. Give it a good rinse in clean water, and shake out as much of the water as you can. Then drain it, and finally let it air right-way up on a radiator or in a cooling over(with the door open)

Then wipe over the o-ring and the threads/jets lightly with WD40.

Sounds a lot, but takes a couple of minutes. Lasts a lifetime.

P.S If there is a build up in the jets, your not looking after it.... are you...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE