How do I know whether my Post will be construed as "Political"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
This one is a bit mysterious to me. I've seen a thread on here that was pure politics (in my opinion) but went untouched until someone actually mentioned a party, there was a mod all over that post and then it continued as normal.

I've also just been on a thread where a warning was given that the thread was getting too close to the mark and can't fathom why.

I'm not trying to change the borders here, just understand where they are.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
From a Mod's point of view it's often the tone of the thread that first raises alarms.
Political doesn't simply mean party philosphies, manifestos and their debate, but it can mean things like trying to influence authorities by petition, by protest, by pressure groups, etc.,

Usually both types of such threads are stopped dead.

Sometimes a thread is allowed to run, like the recent one on a newspaper article that was not only blatantly biased but down right false. (portrayal of a specific gun, and it wasn't, iirc.) Links were given in the discussion to direct people's complaints.....that one really skirted the edges, but the people who commented are known to be those who themselves would stop before the thread got out of hand anyway; British Red, Buckshot and others, and it was well handled. No issues

BcUK is a place for conversation as well as a place to pick folks brains for information and guidance.
I refer to it as the virtual campfire, and it really is. There are limits on the conversation only when it goes out of bounds, and we really do expect members to be self moderating.
We're very fortunate, very few ever really kick off and cause any hassle. Discussion, even robust discussion, is welcomed. By it's very nature not everyone will always agree with any one topic....British Red and I can have some doozies of arguements, but I would defend to the last his right to hold his opinions, and he would similarly defend mine, for instance. Issues arise when the topic strays too near to the flashpoints that are not acceptable.
Bear in mind too that the Boss has clearly stated that slagging off people in public life is not on, that Mod's must use their judgement on when to step in and give a clear, 'please desist', message.

Religion (outwith the general Happy Easter, Mayday, Hallowe'en, Merry Christmas type greetings) regardless of how much it matters to many people, is not a topic for discussion; neither is racist comment or promotion, or politics in general.

If you have specific concerns then the Mods and Admin will discuss them, but at the end of the day, the forum is very busy, those few threads are miniscule in the scheme of things here.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Approach one of the borders and perhaps you may have your passport checked:)

I'm starting to wonder about that.....if I come down to the Moot I need to go through England before I get into Wales. Not only does the language change, but with all this advice about not transporting disease vectors to different populations, like crayfish, Ash rot, etc., it could end up with cars and boots and kit being totally zapped to kill off buggits, and the same going home again.....and someone's got to pay for the job to be done :rolleyes: and that's before we start to talk about the discussion we can't have about devolution too :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, if it's a concern, and obviously it is or Swallow wouldn't be bothered, maybe it's best to clear the air.

At the end of the day, if something doesn't seem right, hit the wee black warning triangle that can be found at the bottom of every post; the one with the ! in it.
The report will be looked at, even if you maybe don't agree with the final decision, it will have been read and discussed.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE