Help me choose a 4-man tent...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I've been looking for a 4-man tent for a while, and right now have the chance of the Mountain Hardware Shifter 4 (at about €140) or the Fjord Nansen Andy IV (at about €113).

I know a little bit about Mountain Hardware, and seen the clothing "in the flesh", and it seems to be quality stuff.

Fjord Nansen, on the other hand, is a new brand to me, and from looking around it seems to be Polish, but I can't find any opinions about the quality.

They are very similar in sleeping area, but one is almost a kilo and a half lighter than the other.

Shifter 4
236cm x 216cm
Packed size: 19cm x 64cm
3.8kg

Andy IV
235cm x 210cm
Packed size: 20cm x 60cm
5.2kg

Any comments?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's a cool 4 man tent.

Or, no: it's a hot tent!

It costs round about 500 € new.

You can light in it a well sized fire without using a stove!

Every German boy Scout group has one.

On the ground every sleeper has to put his military poncho under himself.
You can hang a large pot over the fire.
There is enough room for spare wood and every other equipment.

It's not ultra light, but even 13 years old boys are able to carry the sections together with an essential old school equipment. Because you can heat the tent you don't need so much insulating stuff like jackets and winter sleeping bags.

The sections can be used as 1 man tents too.

Very comfortable, very romantic!

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
The Shifter 4 is now discontinued, that would make me wonder why.

Quality problems?

A couple of reviewers seem to think that the fabric is flimsy, and reported tears and faulty zips after two years of frequent use. Most reviews seem to have been written after just setting up the tent or after spending one or two nights in it.

But this has been enough for me to plump for the Fjord Nansen for my end of July to start of August trip. The gear will be transported to the camp ground by van, while we travel there on horseback, so the extra weight isn't a problem.

The German Teepee looks great, but I don't want to fork out €500 for something I'm going to use only once or maybe twice a year, for between one and three nights each time.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
And two 2 Persons tents aren't an option?
Perhaps they would be oftener in use.

I use this here in France for car camping.
It weights only 2 kg without pegs, which aren't necessary if you don't leave it, so it's relatively light.
And it's a really good quality but not storm resistant.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-2-tent-2-man-green--id_8293539.html

I already have a three-man tent that I use either alone or with one other person. I think that the last times I've used it has been with one or other of my kids. The next time will probably be with my nephew or niece.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Most people who look for a 4 persons tent don't realise, that their children would prefere an own two man tent.

And like the children's room in the house it's often the best choice.

Two years later the "chlidren" can use it for their first own tours or little camps in the backyard, and so it's most times the better and more sensible investment.

I got my first own tent as playing room but not sleeping room when I was four years old.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Most people who look for a 4 persons tent don't realise, that their children would prefere an own two man tent.

And like the children's room in the house it's often the best choice.

Two years later the "chlidren" can use it for their first own tours or little camps in the backyard, and so it's most times the better and more sensible investment.

I got my first own tent as playing room but not sleeping room when I was four years old.

My first "tent" was a plaything, when I was about eight or so: a lightweight cotton ridge-tent that was not waterproofed. I think I slept out in the garden in it once or twice. The next tent I had was a Vango Force Ten, in my late teens and into my early twenties. That one went to Italy and around a bit of Yugoslavia, back in 1989.

One day, maybe, I'll get a lavvu (saamelaiskota)... or build a laavu out in the woods.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In this Lavvu here you can light a normal sized fire without using a stove like in the German Boy Scout Tent "Kohte".

It's made in highest quality in a small town next to Bielefeld.

It's made out of two sections, which are connected with zippers.

(The Kohte is connected with eyelets and loops like the soft top of the Landrover Defender 130 is closed at the door.)

The Tschum 4P is a really phantastic tent, because it's hand made in Germany you can come there with extra wishes if you want, but in my opinion it's just perfect.

I don't own it, but I slept in it.
(The Kohte I own in both existing sizes)

(The Tschum 2 P is unfortunately a bit to small to sleep in it next to the fire, you can light the fire in a pan, but you have to put it outside before you sleep with two persons in it.)

https://tschum.de

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
A simple 4 man tent, although polyester, such as a Slumit Flashframe, may suit?
(Not too expensive?)

Thanks for that; I'd not heard of Slumit before.

The Grizzly is the four-man version, but with a packed size of 85cm x 19cm x 19cm, it's longer than I want, and at 6.8kg it's a little on the heavy size.

I'll not be carrying my tent on my back for great distances, but at certain stages i the trip I'll be handing my gear over to somebody else who will throw it in the back of a van and meet me at the campsite while I make my way there on horseback. I don't want the poles to be on the outside of my rucksack where they could get bent.

Anyway, I've put in my order for the Fjord Nansen Andy IV. And wouldn't you know it, I went up to Lidl yesterday, and say some four-man tents at €39.99 (though a bit big and heavy) and self-inflating sleep mats fat €19.99.
:rolleyes:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Ah...I used to like long distance horse riding....
Anyway you've got it....I was going to suggest a look at Decathlons website as well? Personally I favour cotton or polycotton tents, but a nominal 4 man, like the Robens Fairbanks will be too heavy/bulky...…….
"This is it Stores" do some very useful SIMS at amazing prices as well; I have 3 of differing thickness' !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE