Firesteel maintenance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
A firesteel is part of my backpacking kit, but is mainly used as a back-up to matches and butane lighters.

I've seen suggestions that firesteels can deteriorate over time from simple exposure to the atmosphere. Is that a problem on a practical level and, if so, are there solutions?

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Give it a coat with nail polish ... any color that takes your fancy! :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yes, it is quite a problem (especially if they get wet or kept close to the skin). Flint&Magnesium blocks suffer even worse.

Using bright colors help you find a dropped firesteel too! :-D

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
they can be subject to corrosion when wet. they'll dissolve like a cookie in a glass of warm milk if exposed to sea water, or like a bisquit in a cup of tea.

so yeah, nail polish. if you keep one on your key ring, or somewhere the nail varnish is going to get chipped, you might want to add a layer of heatshrink tube or tape.

cheers, and.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Wow, tea dissolves them too! :-D :-D :lol:

sargey said:
they'll dissolve like a cookie in a glass of warm milk if exposed to sea water, or like a bisquit in a cup of tea.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Last night I coated an old firesteel with a purple nailpolish and it turned it into a really cool anodized look! :-D

Haven't struck it since though ... wanted to make sure it was completely dry in case the whole thing burst into flames! :shock:

It now looks like a mini Maglite (and give off more light!)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Next, the flint and mag block is going ot get the same treatment.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
I suppose using a colored nail polish would make the areas needing re-treatment more obvious and my otherwise black fire steel easier to locate in my bag.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
That's what I thought ... I'm only going to touch up the areas that have been used.

Problem is, once you start thinking of colors, you realize that there are jsut too many to choose from! :-D

TAHAWK said:
I suppose using a colored nail polish would make the areas needing re-treatment more obvious and my otherwise black fire steel easier to locate in my bag.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
sargey said:
i usually get lumbered with whatever colour my daughter is bored with. :shock:

cheers, and.

Cheap polish here is the equivalent of 52 P, tax included. I may opt for "Fire Pink" or "Tropical Delight." :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE