Cleavers/Goose Grass Deoderant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Hi all,

While working my way through some of the foraging and traditional herbal use books Mrs Nomad bought me for Xmas I came across a few things to do with cleavers/goosegrass (other than sticking it on Mrs N's back when she is not looking!) which is pretty abundant around my allotment.

Too early to try making coffee and the "stringy spinach" description of the eating qualities sound less than appetising (but I might give it a go), however, I am intrigued by the suggestion in Pamela Michael's Country Harvest that the liquid left after boiling for 15mins and straining makes a serviceable deodorant.

I'll give it a go and report back but has anyone else tried it and did it work?

Cheers,

Nomad

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nope, but interested to hear how it goes :)

If you pick young, very fresh growth, and put it on a piece, it's quite tasty. It's also good picked and rubbed up between your hands and the mess wiped over insect bites. It soothes and eases the itch.

M

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Nope, but interested to hear how it goes :)

Well, I followed the first part of the instructions;

"Put the cleavers (big handful) and water (1 litre) in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Leave to get cold, then strain and bottle."

Unsurprisingly, I now have a jar of murky green/brown liquid which smells faintly off pea pods/cabbage/spinach.

The next stage is;

Apply to armpits with cotton wool."

I'm a bit dubious but will report back! :p

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
If ya suffer with bad Body odour.. i'm not saying you do :) i'd sack the homemade remedies.

Invest in a good deodorant.. i can recommend a sure roll on :D

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
It doesn't actually work, what it does is turn you a Green colour which scares people so much they don't come close enough to be able to smell you.

D.B.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Say Good Bye to your white T-shirts and shirts..

And if you do not scrub it off brfore bedtime, I suspect Mrs Nomad will tell you to put up a shelter outside!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Say Good Bye to your white T-shirts and shirts..

And if you do not scrub it off brfore bedtime, I suspect Mrs Nomad will tell you to put up a shelter outside!

It doesn't actually work, what it does is turn you a Green colour which scares people so much they don't come close enough to be able to smell you.

D.B.

Natural every time, NO to of the shelf deodorants as most have nasties in them that are carcinogenic shame on you G.

If ya suffer with bad Body odour.. i'm not saying you do :) i'd sack the homemade remedies.

Invest in a good deodorant.. i can recommend a sure roll on :D

Don't worry, although Mrs Nomad is very keen to highlight failings and inadequacies on my part, body odour doesn't even make it into the top 20 and I haven't worn white T shirts since I retired as a Fonz impersonator and only wear white shirts to funerals!

My creation of eau de hedgerow was simply my first days effort for the 30 Days Wild campaign by the Wild Life Trusts.

http://www.mywildlife.org.uk/30dayswild/

Dabbed onto the pits, eau de hedgrow is a lot less "cabbagy" than it smells in the bottle and Mrs Nomad's verdict was "I can't smell anything" and trust me, she can detect the most discrete "trouser cough" at fifty paces! :nono:

I'm not expecting EdH to have the "Lynx effect" on improbably attractive females but I am a bit worried that I will become irresistibly attractive to every slug, snail and caterpillar in a half mile radius! :)

Last edited:

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Has anyone tried using goose grass for dye? When I use it for it allways lives my hands green it might be worth trying. :)

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
On using Sure, terrible stuff It was shame on you for recommending it not a personal attack on you G. when I was nursing the Auxiliaries would spray the stuff all over the bloody ward much to my disapproval as we ended up with patients having difficulties catching their breath, so not a go at you big man I just detest the stuff.:soapbox: rant over.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
On using Sure, terrible stuff It was shame on you for recommending it not a personal attack on you G. when I was nursing the Auxiliaries would spray the stuff all over the bloody ward much to my disapproval as we ended up with patients having difficulties catching their breath, so not a go at you big man I just detest the stuff.:soapbox: rant over.

No worries mate :) no offence taken ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE