Broken day pack zip.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have a favourite day pack that I have been using for many years. Still in good condition and comfy. Unfortunately one by one the zips have lost the pull tags untill today the main compartment zip tag also parted company with the slider. The slider is still there but the metal loop that holds the puller to the slider has snapped off so I can no longer attach a replacement puller to the slider. Short of replacing the whole zip, is there a solution out there? I realy don't want to throw this lovely bag away. I can't really afford to replace it and it's not made anymore anyway. I love this bag and would love to keep using it but the zips are now very hard to operate without the pullers. Any ideas greatfuly received.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I have had the same problem.
You will probably find there is a bit of a 'hook' left where the 'loop' has broken off - take one of the 'string' zip pullers (that you use to make pulling the zip-tag easier) 11p for 10 on Amazon (inc P&P).

Try supergluing it into the remaining 'hook', it may work or it may not.
If it doesn't try the same with araldite - that 'surrounds' the string and locks it in, whilst the superglue just sticks the surface to surface and is a bit 'brittle' - IF the super glue does 'get it' OK then it works, if not try the araldite.

Once glued, try pulling the zip from as low as possible against (parallel to) the zip so you are pulling into the 'broken hook' rather than pulling the string out of the hook.

Not a very good description but hopefully you understand.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The pack is a gelert Yukon 35L it has a double zip (two sliders) and it's plastic I think. A very small toothed zip. The sliders still work fine.it's just that they have no attachment left for a new puller.
The pack is about 15 yrs old and otherwise in perfect condition.. if only in need of a good scrub on the bottom!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I can't see the stops they are set so far into the seam of the side bottle pocket. Sorry that doesn't explain it very well but you cannot see the ends of the zips at all.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I can't see the stops they are set so far into the seam of the side bottle pocket. Sorry that doesn't explain it very well but you cannot see the ends of the zips at all.
The description is fine:D ok other option (depending on how chunky the slider is) that I have tried was to make one or two 1.5 drill holes right through the slider up near the front so you do not stop the two tracks knitting then use wire or gut for a fixing point.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Why don't you buy a new YKK Zipper?
I would not be able to sew it in without taking a fair bit of the pack apart. I have taken it to a local seamstress to see if it was possible when the first of the pullers went.she wasn't happy to do the work .so as one puller was still fine I just put up with only having one puller. Now that's broken too. I can still zip it up but it's very fiddly now. I think I will try the araldite idea as I have literally just bought some this week for making some deer antler tine handled ferro rods. Thanks chaps! It's great having such inventive , clever and knowledgeable people around.:encourage:

Reactions: Erbswurst

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Visit the nearest shop that recovers furniture, car seats and the like.
Zipper comes in 100m spools = they can make up anything likely to fit and fix your pack.
The stops and sliders come in boxes = replacable parts.
I have a pack like that, 30? years old, owes me nothing but well worth the fixing if needed.

Reactions: Erbswurst

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Buy some more sliders, as it's small teeth it's probably a no' 7 zip. Get back as far as you can towards the end of the zip, cut a tooth off each side. Put the slider on and sew across where you have cut the teeth so it can not come off again. You will lose a bit of 'opening' but at least it will work.
Measure across the closed teeth in mm to get size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE