Bargain cameras - need to get better photographs on a budget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Years ago I used to own a film slr and loved photography with it. When it broke I went digital with a 4x compact camera. Then I went with a larger zoom from Samsung. Not a bad camera but my kid played with it until it broke. Then a cheapo pocket compact. By that time photography was of no interest to me. I can't get interested with a camera designed for ppl snaps at social events.

For years now I've also had very good cameras on my phones. From Samsung galaxy s2 to Huawei with Leica. Great photogaphs but no good on a recent zoo trip. I want to get the excitement back. I need more optical zoom and a decent camera. For not much money too.

Any recommendations?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Depending on your inclination, a Sony RX00 (I have just bought one and the quality is amazing), failing that have a look at a Canon 5D full frame camera and some decent lenses.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yikes! £800 & £900+ for a camera. I am afraid I'm cheaper than that. I could squeeze to £300 at most. Cheaper is better but not for poor quality. If you could get a decent camera with good zoom range for £200 it would be an easier sell.

I'm thinking of brand refurbished cameras. I know fuji film do refurbished cameras cheaper than full price. They used to do reasonable bridge cameras too. Are they still decent cameras? Are there other brands doing refurbished cameras?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
so do Cannon, that was what i got, a return that was fully reconditioned by the factory to as new condition, even came with a warranty ( check ebay for them )

a bit fuzzy but this was hand held last night

022.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Reason I asked budget before I started self promoting is I have a Canon Powershot S95 in the sales section. Do a bit of googling, they're well regarded.

It may not have the zoom you want though, that's difficult with a compact.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
You can pick up a Nikon D3200 DSLR for around £300, which comes with an 18-55mm VR kit lens, and is a great camera for the price.

Add a 55-300mm lens too at a later date and you'll have a more than capable kit suitable for most situations.

It is the entry level DSLR model from Nikon, but is one of the best value for money kits out there, and is more than capable of professional standard photos.

A quick google search and you'll find loads of good prices and reviews.

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
If you are happy carrying an SLR around then Allan is spot on the money. If you want something compact then the S95 is great, or a used Lumix LX5 or 7.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I googled a bit last night and one site said the same about the nikon. It's a few years old but was a big step up for a budget dslr when it came out so it stands up well today. IIRC the D3400 and D3500 have come out as the new budget DSLR cameras from nikon. They're a little better and something like £50pm jump in price each step up. What's your views on them? Is it worth a fifty more to get a newer nikon model?

I think I saw John Lewis offering the D3200 for £279. It's an option.

Is there anything in a single unit as in a super zoom compact or bridge camera? Smaller sensor in most cases but I'm hardly going for out and out quality here. Family photographs and a record of trips out. Plus occasionally a few quick photos for "arts sake" when I get the chance. It just seems unless you're an enthusiast with time to play around learning the camera functions you're probably going to need intelligent help from the camera. Whilst I intend to fidget my partner probably would just snap away with full auto. I guess DSLR cameras offer the full "intelligent" auto option too?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW my only creative photography period was with a Minolta S300s film slr. Mostly landscape from hand or ground as I never had spare cash for tripod. Plus walker first so wouldn't carry a tripod, too heavy. Did think of the ultra pod and later the flexible arm mini tripod though.

Anyway, mostly played around with aperture settings for depth of field back then.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
DSLR's will go full auto or creative modes and manual. Not sure on bridge cameras as I never used one. If you don't need more than say 90mm lens then a compact may be the best way to go.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
If you are happy carrying an SLR around then Allan is spot on the money. If you want something compact then the S95 is great, or a used Lumix LX5 or 7.

+1 I've got a load of pro-grade Nikon gear which is great to use but heavy and bulky but most of my pictures are taken on an old and very battered Lumix LX3 which goes everywhere with me.

Although the little Lumix lacks a long zoom, it has a good quality 24-60mm equiv lens, allows full manual creative control, takes RAW as well as jpegs and you can add an adaptor to put polariser and other filters on it. I hope it carries on for ever but if not, a used LX5 or LX7 would be towards the top of my shopping list.

As someone has already probably said, although dslrs are great, the best camera is the one you have with you! :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mine is a Huawei phone. It's not great despite the two camera sensors. It's an honor 8. Supposedly good but reality is disappointing. My ancient galaxy 2 phone was better.

Use is really when out and about. Landscape, family photos, sights, etc. Mostly images without ppl. The issue I have is zooming in. At the zoo for instance, loads of photo opportunities missed because I couldn't make the subject fill enough of the image.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mine is a Huawei phone. It's not great despite the two camera sensors. It's an honor 8. Supposedly good but reality is disappointing. My ancient galaxy 2 phone was better.

Use is really when out and about. Landscape, family photos, sights, etc. Mostly images without ppl. The issue I have is zooming in. At the zoo for instance, loads of photo opportunities missed because I couldn't make the subject fill enough of the image.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I've got an old Nikon D5000 which I got for not much on eBay. If you keep scouting, they do come up cheap sometimes. I've also bought 35mm DX and 85mm prime lenses second hand and they really do make my photos look amazing! They actually make the 18-55mm stock lens photos look a bit fuzzy by comparison.
The 85mm is really for a full frame camera, but still works well.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What's a good brand these days? I used to own Minolta and rated the brand. Nikon always seemed better quality, Canon lower with Pentax below Canon. Sony was nowhere and fujifilm was budget. Is that the same now?

To me nikon now seem to do budget well. For example the Nikon D3200/3400/3600 DSLR cameras look good for the price.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
A D3200 or Eos500 would do you fine. Then pick up prime lenses as time goes on. Not sure on Canon but DX lenses work best for the D3200, designed for it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Isn't there an estimated 1100 or 1300? I've read that they're a good entry dslr option too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE