Back to the begining....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

sam

Hey everybody!

i'm just starting to get into the bushcraft life, and i wondered what you would suggest as 'the bare necessities'. I have the normal camping things, :pack: a relatively good knife(an old ww2 RAF survival knife) and that's about it. What's missing that you couldn't live without??

cheers

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Sam...Welcome to BCUK.

Essential kit....that depends i suppose. I dont know much about your knife, but a good knife is the most essential.
An axe or billhook is second most important, it simply makes life easier. You can find some excellent kit on www.woodlandorganics.com also very efficient service.

Everything is about what is best for you...my essential kit is different to yours.

On a hike i carry A woodlore micarta knife, small dmt fine sharpener. A billhook, perhaps an axe. a firesteel (www.raymears.com) Rope. If im cooking i bring a kettle and billy can.

If i'm camping i carry the same but just add tents. I hope this is clear!

Cheers,

Jake

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
somthing for shelter: Basha or tarp and a Sleeping bag

Somthing for Fire: firesteel

Somthing to cook in: Billycan

Somthing to cut with: a good knife and an axe or saw

And Somthing to carry it all around in!!!!! :-D

The sites Jake mentioned stock all of the above

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well put stuart!
I think i made my explaination over complicated!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Hi Sam,

Your in the netherlands and have an old RAF Knife - how cool?

Basically if you have 'normal camping things' you have all you need - bushcraft isnt about buying loads of gear - it isnt about fancy jackets or hi tech nik naks. Its about learn a variety of skills with the hope of learning to do without even the most 'normal of camping things' let alone all the modern junk.

Essentially my advice would be to check out a website with a good shop - one that doesnt sell a blinding array but just a few good sturdy items. Once you have shopped around decide what you need - you'll be surprised how little that really is.

Oh and a good point here - a knife and a saw is much safer and easier to learn and use than a knife and a axe - an axe should be low on your list of needs. And if you carry either always have a good first aid kit too.

Then once your ready and have the basics get out there and practice - enjoy the experience. Dont be afraid to make mistakes - but remember to learn from them if you do.

Ultimately any questions just ask them on here and someone will have the answer for you. Although i would be remiss if I didnt advise you to chack the answers too - after all we can all make mistakes.

Hope that helped.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I'd definatly agree with gary. You dont need that much, but it is someimes fun to have it! I dont own any electronic bushcraft equiptment, so i get by with an axe and a knife (rope is always good!).

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
You kit will be personal to you depending on your expierences. Take out the stuff you have now and see how it goes (check you have everything in stuarts list + first aid). after a time You will find stuff you never use.... and also think of things that would come in realy handy to have around. You will probably find that the things you take with you are always evolving.

:)
Ed

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Best thing to carry ... knowledge! Practice and prefect techniques and you'll get away with a lot less kit! :-D

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
hey another dutchie !!!!

extrasuvival.nl has some good pieces of equipment.
you don't really need much to bushcraft, just like what everyone else said.
It's really what you make of it.

Mar 2, 2004
hi dude, i think there is a thread which some of us listed our essential kit on. probly in kit chatter ..surprise surprise..lol. im sure youll be swamped with suggestions and ultimatly find your own way :wink:

we all learn by our mistakes dont we :-D

S

sam

thanks everyone for the suggestions, :)

PC2K, sorry to have raised your hopes, but i'm a brit living abroard. but saying that, i'm not thinking of moving anytime soon.

of the stuff listed, i think a saw is the only thing i'm missing ( as well as the knowledge... but that will come!!)

i have seen on another thread the many differing opinions on the RAF knife. Considering a small budget( say £50) what sort of small general utility knife would you suggest?...or will i need to spend more?

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
sam said:
thanks everyone for the suggestions, :)
Considering a small budget( say £50) what sort of small general utility knife would you suggest?...or will i need to spend more?

A mora knife, they are cheap but are of very good quality, so you can bu several and get a chance to try diffrent kind of knives. The ones with handle in red wood come in diffrent length and in carbon or laminated steel and are very good for woodcarving.

Here are the two largest manufactuers
http://www.kjeriksson.se/

http://www.frosts.se/

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
If you are not used to things like knife sharpening and care, I would sugest a good quaility cheap plastic handled knife.... just to get some practice on. You wont mind too much then if things go wrong. The Frost, and Mora knives stated above are excellent, but also check out the range of utility knives from kellam.co.uk (stuart on here). They even have a forged carbon steel utility knife ;-)
When you have the knack of sharpening it, and keeping it shaving sharp, then look into getting something else (though you may find you are more than happy with your utility knife).
Remember we all learn by our mistakes..... best not to make mistakes on a £50 knife ;-)

:)
Ed

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sam, I would guess you have everything you need already. I would consider taking a course, buying some books, etc. You need to get out and practice. After awhile you will have a good idea what you want to keep of your current gear and what new kit you might want to purchase. One thing you have to guard against though is becoming discouraged. You might ask yourself how you would fare if you went into the woods for 4 or 5 days and it rained that whole time. This can discourage the newcomer. Sometimes the best thing to do is to set up a "regular" camp with a tent and other creature comforts, and then venture out into the woods and practice more typical bushcraft skils like fire building without matches or building a shelter, or catching fish with just a hook and line from a mini survival kit. The best way to know what you need to learn by doing. But when you are "doing," just make sure you are prepared enough that you dont' accidently put yourself into a life threatening REAL survival situation. This could be as simple (and deadly) as becoming chilled and hypothermic. Good luck and stay safe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE