Another new camera thread - outdoors, pocketable.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've got smartphones with decent cameras and a Samsung WB500 18x zoom compact but we just don't take enough photos. The Samsung is too bulky and is being temperamental too. We're unlikely to get the smartphones out in the rain and I've already trashed one good phone by falling on it while out walking.

We need a camera that's compact enough to fit pockets, decent photo taker and preferably water resistant/waterproof. I've even heard of one that comes with a karabina for clipping to things (can't remember which one).

We've got a 2 year old who's a keen walker like his parents. We're also keen.cyclists. basically weekend active family but we're not able to record it with photos. A new, compact camera would help but which one?

My thinking is fujifilm xp 70, canon powershot d30, Olympus tough cameras. Is it Ricoh that does a tough waterproof that's not the usual rectangular block? That one looks good.

Is there a good camera for us?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
just spotted the title has profitable I typed pocketable into my phone.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
just spotted the title has profitable I typed pocketable into my phone.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Fixed that for you.

I have an Olympus all weather pocket camera attached to my bumbag whenever I'm out, it is nice not to have to worry about dropping the thing, rain and such.

It replaced an earlier Olympus all weather model which was more compact, I prefered that one as I was happy to keep it on my belt in the house too.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have been using an Olympus since 07, it's been in my pocket in a fair few places around the world, the model I have (I think) is the mju 720 sw and is only 7.1 megapixels but it tales some cracking pictures, only problem I have had was that after five years the battery stopped holding a charge for long, easily sorted. When it finally dies I will be looking at the newer models to upgrade.

Louis

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have used Olympus for 30 years and have a few.
My Mui 300 is 12 years old and still works fine only 3 mp but you can get great shots from it.
My XZ-1 is amazing for a compact

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Looking at anything from £70 to £200.

The waterproof idea is partly the fact that there also tougher cameras as well as being resistant to rain when photographing in rain. Plus it could be fixed to rucksack strap or waist belt pocket for quick access. If without waterproofing we might be reluctant to get it out. Also reluctant to put it loose in any pocket. I once carried a smart phone with a good camera in an outside pocket but stumbled and fell onto a rock with my weight on the phone. I'm 80kg and some tough cameras would take 100kgf. Even without that toughness reckon waterproof camera still tougher.

Overall though I'm OK without waterproofing. The aim is to get decent photographs taken, easily, quickly, with decent quality images and at a time or location the photo opportunity happens.

I've seen Nikon for £110 and a lumix for the same price. Both similar, both good and both recommended by the shop. There's no way to split them that I can see. There Ricoh wg20 waterproof for £149 with 6 led lights around the lens for macro photos. It's bigger than the Nikon but smaller than the Ricoh wg4 newer model.

Basically I don't really know what I need just the outcome which is photographs of family, what we're doing and where we're doing it. Photos for sharing with family but not the world on Faceache or twitter. For printing off and sticking in albums. Our son's nursery has a "what I've done" book that they put stuff in and we're supposed to put stuff in so they can talk about what he has done with his family. It's all about memories. We're really bad at taking the photos with what we've got, big zoom compact and smartphones we can't risk being damaged.

keep the suggestions coming, please! santa already brought me my christmas gift this year- literally the day i gave up all hope to see my faithful friend forrest or my tools ever again i got a message from my friend that i got my workvisa for japan granted... and now i:m looking for a small back up camera myself to carry in my shoulder bag when my faithful ""fuji finepix 5600" is to bulky for (bushbashing) trips over japans mountains (=as a treat/reward for the stress of the last 4 month)

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
I recently got myself a Lumix LX-7. Fantastic camera for its size, and the night-time shots it produces are fantastic, especially when you use the handheld night mode. I've been trying to use manual as much as possible to get into the habit, but its automatic mode is so goddamned good I sometimes default to that if I just want a fantastic picture without the prep

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I recently got myself a Lumix LX-7. Fantastic camera for its size, and the night-time shots it produces are fantastic, especially when you use the handheld night mode. I've been trying to use manual as much as possible to get into the habit, but its automatic mode is so goddamned good I sometimes default to that if I just want a fantastic picture without the prep

My Olympus XZ-1 is similiar to the LX-7 and it too gives great image quality I use mine in aprture priority mostly only resoting to manual when I have to.

I usually shoot in RAW though just like with my main camera.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE