Adze You Like It!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Been out in the forge this weekend, having noticed that my hands were just too soft, and seriously lacking in blisters and calluses. :lmao:

I've been meaning to forge some more adzes for ages, mainly because I enjoy making them, and secondly because they're useful little tools to have around. The adzes (I checked to see if 'adzes' is the correct plural....Before you check, it is!) are forged from Cromwell Tools ball pein hammers, which lend themselves very nicely to making a multitude of tools such as axes, hatchets, punches etc. They are left natural, and the only parts which have been ground are the cutting edges; I'm a big fan of tools retaining forge markings etc, but I can grind them as smooth as a baby's backside if you so wish, I just prefer to show them this way. They are tempered, but remain easy to sharpen with a file or fine cigar stone.

I have a couple for sale, the first of which is SOLD SOLD SOLD a bowl adze:

The width of the cutting edge is 50mm, and the pitch is approximately 10mm. There is a very small back bevel behind the edge, as well as an even smaller bevel on the upper edge.

The hickory handles are currently finished with a light coating of raw linseed oil, but I can easily give them the same scorched finish as the one in the centre (which is my own user). I prefer the scorched finish as in my opinion it provides more grip and control, but at the end of the day, it's all down to personal preference. I can add a sheath for the blade edge for another £8 (each sheath is wet-formed to the blade, not 'one-size fits all' ;).

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Curved adze SOLD to Wolf Man. Many thanks :)

I am also open to taking commissons if any folks would like a particular shape forging, as I'm a Maker+ :cool:

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If anyone is after another bowl adze, please let me know. I've added a snap of Wolf Man's bowl adze which has been modified at his request by removing the ball pein and taking it through grinding and polishing.

021896a7-3251-1db7.jpg

Cheers for looking :)

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Very nice i'm actually looking for a small ish bowl adze for my carving etc do you still have any? if so pics and prices please :)

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Got mine delivered today and have to say it's fantastic! :You_Rock_

I've wanted an adze for ages but just could not justify the expense........ untill I saw yours mate.

Thanks for the amazing bargain and quick delivery, VERY much appreciated as now I can get on with a few projects I've had on the backburner for too many years.

ATB

Kim

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Got mine delivered today and have to say it's fantastic! :You_Rock_

I've wanted an adze for ages but just could not justify the expense........ untill I saw yours mate.

Thanks for the amazing bargain and quick delivery, VERY much appreciated as now I can get on with a few projects I've had on the backburner for too many years.

ATB

Kim

No worries mate. Glad you got it safe and sound :)

Recieved mine on Friday and 1st use on sat. , very impressed really nice tool, cuts really well and very comfortable to use. Good comms from Silverhill, kept me informed throughout. I can see these being popular.

You need to get yourself a nice little makers mark on them tho mate :). Just so I can show it off when ever anyone ask's who made it.

cheers again

Andy

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Cheers for the kind words Andy!
I spent most of last Friday forging with Olly and we've managed to catch up on most of the orders as well as forge a couple extra as the demand for these has been high :)

You need to get yourself a nice little makers mark on them tho mate :). Just so I can show it off when ever anyone ask's who made it.

I'm hopefully concentrating more on toolsmithing for the next few months, so I reckon I'll have to make one, or get one made before I get round to making the side axes I've promised.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE