5 days of running leatherwork courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi folks,

First up I'm not sure how relevant this is so no worries if Tony & mods need to move/delete this post.

I thought I would put a little insight into what I've been doing with Half-Goat Leatherwork. I'm just back from running two leatherwork courses back to back, 3 days teaching a satchel making course, and 2 days teaching a wallet making course to one of our members here.

I'm chuffed to bits with just how much it has brought out peoples creative side, and they have really surprised themselves at the level of skill they can put in to a craft. It's very rewarding passing skills on and helping people to develop a traditional skill :)

Some pictures from the 3 day satchel course, run at Resonate Arts House in Alloa.

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 5 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 6 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 7 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 8 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 9 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 10 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 11 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 12 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 13 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 14 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Leatherwork Satchel Course with Resonate Together 15 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

And a few pictures from the 2 day wallet course in my workshop

HalfGoatLeatherwork Wallet Course 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoatLeatherwork Wallet Course 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoatLeatherwork Wallet Course 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoatLeatherwork Wallet Course 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoatLeatherwork Wallet Course 5 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Thanks for reading. Hamish

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Thamks again Hamish.
Had a great time.i would urge anyone thinking of doing one of Hamish's courses is to do it.we didnt believe it was possible but with excellent patient tuition the wallets are the result can be seen above.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ach - 'taint fair ... their work already looks better than mine!
That has to be the mark of a great teacher :)
Mind you ... 5 mins showing them how to Saddle Stitch and the rest of the time sitting back and grinning as their little fingers are reduced to bloody pulp - it has to be fun....

Seriously - great results and happy clients - you must be doing something right!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ach - 'taint fair ... their work already looks better than mine!
That has to be the mark of a great teacher :)
Mind you ... 5 mins showing them how to Saddle Stitch and the rest of the time sitting back and grinning as their little fingers are reduced to bloody pulp - it has to be fun.... only one person (or is it two) other than you seems to be wearing finger protectors...ouch!

Seriously - great results and happy clients - you must be doing something right!

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Not do i.it was me and the missus.
Wildcamped in the galloway forest for two nights then in to see Hamish

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Great stuff Hamish - I've been approached and asked to teach tooling fossils and I find the prospect quite daunting - I make a lot of stuff up as I go along which I wouldn't be able to do with students. How did you prep for the class, did you do a dry run with volunteers?

M

Dreadhead

Great stuff Hamish - I've been approached and asked to teach tooling fossils and I find the prospect quite daunting - I make a lot of stuff up as I go along which I wouldn't be able to do with students. How did you prep for the class, did you do a dry run with volunteers?

M

Hi Mike,

As leatherwork is my living, I'm happy to run classes on products I make day in, day out. I have made so many wallets, satchels, and sporrans that teaching them is actually second nature now. Whereas I wouldnt be fully comfortable running courses on making shoes or say gun cases as they are not my specialty. It's a case of taking people through my thought process, why I do things the way I do, and why I avoid various other techniques/tools etc. My courses are each designed not to only make one single product, but to teach people as much as possible so that they can take those skills away and adapt them to anything else.

In regards to doing dry runs, I don't bother as I'm teaching on a regular basis these days I like to just have a natural flow to things, I just don't post up many pictures or don't get the chance to take them as we are working. I often have people over to the workshop for a day course which helps me develop ways of teaching or demonstrating, or I'm hired to do between 1-3 days at other venues which are a lot more involved like the satchel course above.

The hardest thing I have found is having to amass extra sets of tools, and making sure you have enough stock to cover all avenues. I keep finding I'm teaching one thing, but somebody wants to learn something else and I haven't brought supplies to do it as it wasnt techically in the itenary. Now, I try and bring as much as I can so I can cover all bases to help people get as much out of the time they have paid for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE