Ultralight Tarp_need help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
would like to buy a tarp, approx. 2,50 x 2,50 m, effective AND ultralight. Any suggestions? I really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Alfredo

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No not personally but I know somebody who's done a lot of motorbike touring in Europe with one and he rates it very highly.
Alpkit gear is usually very good but I like bigger tarps myself so never bought one.

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
I have the small Alpkit tarp that Shewie suggested.

I bought it for sleeping out when running and have used it twice.

It looks to be well made and I would happily recommend it.

Cheers,

Tom

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
I have the small Alpkit tarp that Shewie suggested.

I bought it for sleeping out when running and have used it twice.

It looks to be well made and I would happily recommend it.

Cheers,

Tom

Seconded. It's substantially lighter than the DD tarp, and does the job.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
But the DD is 3m x 3m

By my measurements it's about 20% lighter _per_square_metre_, and obviously more in total. Thats using real, measured, weights. Nothing to get excited about, but if it's the size you want (I find 3x3 tarps to big in windy conditions - I had a mare with my dd when using it for temporary shelter near Cadair Berwyn last year) the better the weight off your back. The DD tarps a fine, economical tarp though, no arguments here.

Cheers,

Paul.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I have a DD Tarp at 3m x 3m (http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/tarps/tarp - £29) which is awesome but including pegs and guys is 973g which I thought was a bit heavy and big. I have a solo tarp from Backpackinglight (http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product156.asp - £49) waiting at the post office (2nd hand) which is 2.7m x 1.5m @ 323g (without guys/pegs) which I think is big enough for one in dodgy weather or 2 when it's nice out.

Will report when I've had a night under it!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have the kathmandu basha sold by Bison Bushcraft at 2.5m x 2.5m. It is a really good tarp. My first one but it is a good one. It comes in a sil-nylon stuffsack. There are bungee cord loops around the edges (great for pegging out or for larksfooting guys onto). There are tape loops along the ridgeline and lifter loops. Everything looks re-inforced where needed and it works well. It has a palatial amount of space for solo use.

Aiguille Alpine in Stavely do a good SIl-nylon tarp. Heavy with all the paddlepockets, etc but he did say that he wou;d make up a custom one for me that would be as light as possible. He seemed to think that he could make a very light one and it wouldn't be anywhere as near the price of the very big canoeing ones they sell as standard. I seem to be recommending them a bit on here lately but after several chats with the guy there they do come across as a good company who know what they're doing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE