Movie: "Into the Wild"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
McCandless did what he wanted to do. He was young idealistic and brave and I salute him for that. It is good that there are young people like that

He was also foolish , ill prepared and naieve. He was no hero. It is sad that he died.

It is the debate among the rest of us (not just on BCUK) that is revealing.

We heap our dreams and aspirations on the McCandless story. We envy the 'freedom' and want to tear down what we do not have. We use him to recall our lost or squandered youth. Our own fears for ourself or our own children drive our demands to make it safe or save young people from themselves.

We build it into a tragedy so we can release our own pent up feelings instead of treting it for what it was - kid went out, kid stuffed up, kid died. A lesson for us all.

As for 'spoiling the day' of others, why should their recreation be protected? Why should they not encounter natural death and its consequences? Why should they not go away sober and quiet to think about what they saw?

In the past they could have buried him or just left him and report it when they returned from their walk or trip.

Probably now they are famed in their hometowns as the guys who found McCandless, often interviewed. A fame that gets them bought a few drinks!

Of course it is our obsession with picking over everything nowadays that nowadays one would hesitate to bury a body in case you are criticised

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Always go though their pockets first.

Raised a smile Tengu, raised a smile.

Actually to put a cap on my thoughts on this. The lad was perfectly entitled to live his life as he wanted to. He made mistakes that we all have, and who are we to sit in judgement. Good for him. Some get away with their dreams however rash, some don't.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The really objectionable thing about this (I wont say stupid, I think it was different from stupid) is he threw away what he had.

He had a good upbringing, and plenty of money.

a lot of people dont have that. especialy in the US, you read shocking accounts of poverty.

Some of us here have plenty; others have known really hard times (Im one of the lucky ones despite being perpetualy skint) but we all try to appreachate what we have got.

we are not the anti materialists who have everything. (do you know that person? I do)

and we try to be at ease with outselves.

I was reading a book (cant recall what) and the author wrote "we need to become more at ease with ourselves and our wealth"

how true

sleeperman

Sep 27, 2007
N/E
Great movie which ought to be a lesson for the fantasists out there
about how REAL and how ORDINARY the dangers are.
I did`nt know the story before i watched this movie and was very
moved by the ending, I attribute a deeper meaning to this young
mans life and death, a parable of "I thought I was sure to live, and I did".

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
He wasn't "cooking" it I think, he was trying to smoke it to preserve it, and dry it out. The smoke should also keep flies off. Could have solved that problem by slicing it thinly rather than leaving it in large blocks of meat.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But he didnt know that of course.

speaking on which, would a person on their own be able to process a moose? I would have thought it would take a production line. One to butcher, another to slice, a third to keep blades sharp, make racks and skewers and possibly a fourth to source suitable wood and build a fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE